Partner up

As weeks go by, I still find it hard to be the new me. There have been  so many times I nearly fell off the wagon, especially when Flynn's around. It's like he knows how to push my buttons and I want to punch him; but can't.

    "So I heard you're going on a date with that nerd Anthony" Flynn says as he strolls behind me towards history class. "Just what this world needs, two nerds getting it on and multiplying. Does he even know where to put it?" Flynn laughs at his own insult.

I roll my eyes and continue walking.

Not that it's any of his business but I am going on a date with Anthony.

When he asked me out, I could tell how nervous he was and felt so bad that I couldn't say no, then as I thought more about it I figured that he'd be a lot different from the assholes I usually hook up with and that maybe it was a good thing; Maybe a nice, smart guy like Anthony could keep me on track.

    "Shut up Flynn" I scold. I wasn't in the mood for him today. I'd spent hours struggling with the math homework last night. I must have been up until around two a.m. with it and I'm still not sure it's correct.

This whole being a good person was proving to be harder then I expected.

    "Did I hurt poor goodies feelings?"

I spin around to face him, stepping close enough to him that there is only inches between us and I can smell his minty breath. "If you don't piss off I swear I'm going to dismantle your precious bike" I threaten through gritted teeth.

    "I'd like to see that happen, goodie" Flynn chuckles. "look at those nails. There's no way you'd get them dirty" He chuckles cockily referring to my freshly applied acrylic nails.

    "Wanna bet.."

    "That's enough you two.." Ms Baker interrupts "..into class" She instructs and waits for us to enter and take our seats.

It's days like today I wish I had Summer and her constant good mood in my classes, instead I get Flynn behind me and Robbie beside me; don't get me wrong, Robbie is lovely but he's not the brightest crayon in the box. He always tries to sneak a peak at my answers and turns to chat to Flynn most of the time.

    "Okay so I'm going to give you all a project to do. It'll be worth 40% of your final result so I'll be partnering you up and you must work with who I assign you with. No swaps. I'll be writing down who's with who, in case you do try"

    "Looks like goodie and her lover boy won't get to work together, boohoo" Flynn whispers over my shoulder.

    "Shut it" I hiss back.

    "Mr Murray, Ms Brown" Ms Baker calls us "Since you two have already began, I guess you two can partner up"

    "Ah hell no" Flynn exclaims.

    "Please miss, not him" I dispute.

    "Maybe you two will learn to get along"

    "Unlikely" I sigh and slouch back in my chair.

How was I going to get 40% in this with Flynn as my partner. I might as well ask for a fail now. "I hate you even more for this" I turn and tell him spitefully.

....

  "It's for me" I call and rush to answer the door before my parents do. "Quick, get upstairs before my parents come" I drag Flynn into the house and quickly close the door.

    "Leah, aren't you going to introduce us to your school friend" My mother chimes, appearing in the kitchen doorway.

Flynn fixes his leather jacket, which I've obviously discomforted by dragging him in. He puts on a charming grin I've never seen before and extends his arm out to my mother. "I'm Flynn Murray" He introduces politely and I scour in confusion. Who's this guy? He looks like Flynn, smells like Flynn, heck he's even wearing his leather jacket; but he's being polite!!

    "Nice to meet you Flynn" My mother smiles and shakes his hand. "and please call me Marie" She insists.

What the hell is going on? My mother isn't even this nice towards Aaron. Maybe when she really gets to know Flynn she won't be as welcoming.

    "Well Flynn and I have a history project to do so we better go get it started" I force a grin at my mother.

She simply nods and smirks at me as I grab Flynn's collar, dragging him backwards away from my mother.

    "Eager to get me to your room" He chuckles when I close my bedroom door behind him.

    "You wish" I glare at him, "Now can we please just get started on this damn project"

I sit at my desk typing up most of the work while Flynn sits on the floor texting, occasionally voicing an input. I'd been so enthralled by the project I'd barely noticed the time go by, until there was a faint knock on the door.

My mother enters creepily, as if she's going to catch us 'doing something'. "I thought you two might be hungry" She smiles and I suddenly become aware of the tray in her hands. Flynn leaps up from his position on the floor, taking the tray from her. "Trust me you don't want to see this one hungry" My mother tells him amused with herself.

    "She must always be hungry" He says in a playful tone.

    "I'm not deaf" I say aloud and resume typing.

    "Thanks Marie" Flynn chimes, no doubt giving her a charming smile before she closes the door. "Your mam's cool" Flynn says digging into the food. "I think she likes me"

    "Don't flatter yourself" I grin smugly at him. "If my parents even suspected we were dating they wouldn't have you near the house, never mind in my room" I tell him, taking a brownie from the tray.

    "How do they know we're not?" He raises a quizzical eyebrow.

I let out a little chuckle. "They know I'm not that stupid" I stick my tongue out at him and continue on our History project.