40| Speed vs. Sound

***

After Dr. Wells closed off the accelerator ring we all waited impatiently for him to enter the Cortex in need of an explanation. "I assume you were all listening." Wells said as he entered the room. "Well, Hartley was telling the truth. I have not been honest with you. With any of you. The accelerator Hartley warned me that there was indeed a chance that the accelerator could explode. His data did not show 100% certainty, just that there was a risk, but it was a real risk." He informed, and we all stayed quiet as we listened in shock. "And yet I made the decision that the reward that everything we could learn and everything we could achieve, that all of that simply outweighed that risk. I'm sorry."

"The next time you choose to put our lives, and the lives of the people that we love, at risk, I expect a heads up." Caitlin exclaimed before she exited the room and Cisco and I quickly went after her. "I just need some time alone."

Cisco and I nodded before we left her medical lab. "I'm going to go work on something."

It was clear that both Cisco's and Caitlin's admiration towards Dr. Wells was beginning to get fractured. I leaned against the wall in the hallway conflicted on what to think. There was something about Dr. Wells that didn't feel right, but at the same time I couldn't believe that the man that has been helping Barry through all of this could be trying to hurt him. "Seems like we're all having a horrible day."

I looked up to see Barry slowly walking towards me with his hands in his pockets. "Yeah, seems like we just can't get a break."

We stood there in comfortable silence before Barry began to awkwardly shuffle his feet. "Diane I want to ask you something... and I completely understand if you say no."

"Ask." I replied curiously as I pushed myself off the wall.

"I want you to meet my dad. It's just that he wants to meet you." I looked at him in surprise not expecting that. "Sorry, I shouldn't have..."

"Barry I would love to meet your father." I said quickly trying to avoid Barry slipping into an award phase,

"Really?" Barry asked his face immediately lighting up.

"Yeah just tell me..." Next thing I knew I was standing in front of Iron Heights. "...when."

"Oh I meant today." Barry clarified as he grabbed my hand and made his way inside the prison.

"Well I see that now." I commented slightly nervous. We went though security and then down the halls to the visiting area. Barry was about to open the door when I slapped his hand away.

"What was that for?" He asked in confusion.

"I'm nervous." I quickly admitted.

"What?" Barry said a smile slowly forming on his face.

"Don't make that face." I said as I slapped his shoulder.

"What face?"

"That face. The face you're making right now." I said started to get slightly irritated.

"Oh come on you'll do great. He'll love you." Barry said confidently.

"How are you so sure?" I continued skeptically.

"Because if I...well I just know he will." Barry said as he grabbed my shoulders making face the door. He opened the door and guided me to one of the stalls his hands still on my shoulders. He stopped and standing before me was a man that was clearly Barry's father. He looked at me in surprise clearly not expecting me, I smiled before I turned my head towards Barry.

"You lied to me."

"Okay maybe I wanted you meet him." Barry whispered into my ear. "He would never ask me to bring anyone here. Thinks he'll embarrass me."