Twenty

THANK YOU FOR 16K!
______________________________
Faye's POV:
I couldn't go another day without doing this. The guilt was eating me alive. I felt horrible for what I've been keeping from Fred. I need to stop being a coward. I stared up at the ceiling in my dorm room and finally made my decision.

That night I snuck out of my dorm, making sure not to wake any of the other girls. I walked down the stairs leading to the girls' rooms and tiptoed up the stairs leading to the boys' in search of Fred. I felt bad waking him so late, especially after staying up till midnight for my party, but I just can't wait any longer to tell him.

I got to his room and slowly turned the knob, then opened the door. It squeaked and I froze, looking around to make sure none of them heard and then proceeded when I saw everyone was still sleeping. I went over to Fred's bed and kneeled before his sleeping figure. Shaking his shoulder, he mumbled in his sleep and I shushed him. I shook him a little bit more and his eyes slowly opened, as if they had been glued shut.

"Faye... What are you doing up here-"

"Shh! We don't want to wake up anyone else" I put my hand over his mouth, cutting him off, then taking it away. "Come follow me"

"What time is it?" He whispered, sitting up and rubbing his eyes.

"Three in the morning" I bit my lip, standing up and waiting for him but he only gave me an incredulous look. "It's important ok? I have something to tell you. Something I should have told you a while ago". He looked away for a second, thinking, then looked up at me in realization. He nodded to show that he understood, then got out of bed. I tried my hardest to avert my eyes as he threw a shirt over his naked torso. Once he slipped on some old slippers he had lying around, I led him out of his dorm, down the stairs, and through the common room.

"You seem nervous" he spoke up quietly as we walked through the halls. My hands were together in front of me and I was picking at my nails.

"I'm fine" I mumbled.

"If you still don't want to tell me then don't. I'd rather you keep your secret than telling me things you're not ready to tell" he sighed.

"I said I'm fine. And I am ready to tell you. I'm just... A little apprehensive. I don't know how you'll react to this" I bit my lip. "You're not going to understand the seriousness of the situation until you know what actually happened"

"If you think I'll treat you differently I won't" he gave me a confused look as we stopped in front of a gargoyle statue and I looked up at him.

"Don't promise that" I grimaced, looking at the gargoyle and huffing. "Um... Sherbet lemon?" I asked but it stayed put. "Chocolate frog? Acid pops? Fizzing Wizbee? Cockroach clusters?" All of a sudden the gargoyle stepped out of the way to reveal a circular moving stone staircase. I grabbed Fred's hand and pulled him onto one of the steps as we moved upwards.

"We're going up to dumbledore's office?" He asked me and I nodded. "What if he's up there?"

"Haven't you noticed? Dumbledore has been in and out of the school for the past few months. There's barely been a trace of him lately. He's never here" I shook my head.

"And why exactly do you need to tell me up here? What was wrong with the common room?"

"Dumbledore has a pensive. I saw it the last time I was up here at the beginning of the year" I told him and he gave me another look. "When I said I'm going to tell you, I didn't mean that I would just tell you. I'm showing you too" I sighed as we finally got to the top. We climbed the remaining steps and walked through the door leading to the circular office. I made my way over to the corner of the room, opening up the closet holding his pensive. I looked into it and felt my heart pick up speed dramatically. I'm actually about to do this.