~2~ Burnt Toast

"Hi, welcome to Doughboy. What can I get for you?"

I smiled at the young couple that had just walked in, waiting for an answer. Bennett was leaning over the counter, talking to a girl that had been trying to decide what she wanted for the last hour.

And I'm pretty sure it isn't a pastry she wants.

"Do you do cakes?" The woman asked, scanning the display case beside me, "My younger brother is obsessed with some comic book character and I wanted to get him a cake for his birthday." She explained. Before I could say a word, Bennett turned his attention away from the girl in front of him and to the couple.

"We custom cakes, they just cost a little extra. How soon do you need it?" He asked, running his hand through his thick brown hair. I glared at him, biting the inside of my lip to stop myself from snapping.

This was my first day and he was already walking all over me, acting as if I had absolutely no idea what I was doing.

"Oh, great! Can I have. . ." I zoned out as the girl approached Bennett at the counter, smiling up at him as she wrote down her order. He stared down at her as she spoke, a bored look in his eyes.

This guy wouldn't know what customer service is if it hit him in the face.

"Hey, you're new here!" I looked up at the voice, making sure they were talking to me.

A boy around my age stood a few feet away, a hoodie on despite the hot weather outside.

"I'm Tristan." The boy pushed his hoodie off, revealing a shaved head. I held out my hand, forcing a smile on to my face despite my confusion.

"Sydney. Can I get you anything?" I asked, gesturing toward the display case. I saw Bennett's hand reach in front of me, grabbing something out of the case.

"Here you go, man." I didn't know whether to glare at Bennett again or stare in shock as the guy ate the pastry without paying, so I'm pretty sure my expression was somewhere in the middle.

"You have to pay for that." I finally said, pointing at him. I heard Bennett snort beside me as Tristan dug through his pocket and handed me a name tag.

"I'm Tristan." He repeated, "Your co-worker on any day this pessimistic idiot isn't working." He grinned, giving Bennett a nudge with his arm. I saw Bennett shake his head, but, to my surprise, didn't say anything back. Which led me to believe that this guy was probably his friend.

"Oh." I don't think think I could have been any more embarrassed. Especially since the guy that had been ridiculing everything I did all day was laughing at me.

"Mom and Dad hired her for the summer, thought we needed help. I just think that Dad wanted a nice piece of ass to look at." I could feel my cheeks flush at Bennett's words. Tristan was shaking his head as he finished off the cupcake he was eating.

"Dude, stop being such an ass." Tristan sent me a smile, "Don't take his attitude personal. He has major anger issues." I laughed, ignoring Mr. Pessimist as he glared over at us.

"Whatever. You two have fun." Bennett jumped over the counter, handing his apron over to Tristan with a sigh.

"Where are you going?" I asked, watching after him. Wasn't he supposed to be training me?

"None of your buissness." Bennet called over his shoulder before letting the door swing shut behind him. I stared after him in shock until Tristan finally joined me on the other side of the counter, a crooked smirk on his face as he nudged me with his elbow.