~12~ In The Air Tonight

Dear Mr. Pessimist,

I saw that the meteor shower was happening tonight. Are you going to watch it? I believe you'd enjoy it, so maybe head out to The Field tonight and meet us there. Don't forget to smile.

With love,

Ms. Optimist

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

I sat on the front step of my porch, staring as the sun started to dip down behind the clouds.

I could hear the rumble of Jessie and Kyle's shared old Bug before it was even down my street, my eyes widening a fraction when I saw Kyle's bandaged head against the window.

"Kyle!" I gasped once he climbed out of the car, putting his weight on the crutch under his left arm I threw my arms around him, shaking my head.

"I was worried. What the hell happened?" I touched his scratched face, my fingers brushing against his split lip.

"I should get hurt more often." He joked, then winced, "I got jumped." Jessie was peeking her head out the window with a small smile.

"We've gotta get to our parents party, so please kiss goodbye and get back in the car, Ky." I pulled away from him and took in the tux he was wearing, chuckling.

"You look like you just walked out of a James Bond movie." I said, poking his nose, "You're like the badass that walked away from the explosion without looking at it." He shook his head, snorting.

"Does that make you my beautiful reward for it all?" He asked.

"No, it makes me your worried older sister, kid. Now go." I opened the door to the Bug again, helping him back into the car.

"Not even friendzoned, I just go Brozoned." He sighed, laying his head back against the seat.

"Have fun on your date with Tristan." Jessie said, "I want all the details tomorrow." I saluted her and kissed Kyle's cheek before stepping away from the car and wrapping my arms around myself.

"Wait, date with Tristan?" Kyle was asking as his sister pulled the car away and continued down the street. I watched the car disappear into the horizon, sighing quietly to myself.

*

The last thing I expected to find when I dropped by the bakery to find Tristan was Bennett inside, shouting at his parents. I was halfway in, and despite the bell signaling I came in echoing throughout the store, none of them glanced in my direction.

"I'm tired of it! You think that the whole world revolves around you, Ben!" Mrs. Banks was yelling, her finger pointed in her sons face, "It doesn't. There are hundreds of men in this world that girls could choose from, none of them need you." I heard a weird sound escape my mouth at his mother's words.

Had I just heard her correctly? What mother says that?

"Sydney?" Mr. Banks gasped, "How long have you been there?" I ignored my boss and turned to Bennett with my mouth hanging open.

His expression had become closed off, his lips in a thin line. I could still see the muscle in his jaw twitching, even though I was positive he didn't want me to see it.

"I'm looking for Tristan." I said, tugging at the bottom of my black dress, "But I guess he's not here." I started to turn around, but Bennett grabbed my wrist.