~7~ You Smell Like Cookies

Dear Mr. Pessimist,

Do you ever look at the sky and try to make out what you see in the clouds? Do you ever wonder if you're the only person that sees the image? Maybe you should try it, sometimes it helps me forget about my problems for a while.

Sincerely,

Sydney

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Tristan was asleep behind the counter by the time our shift was over. He had told me that he'd been studying non-stop and trying to get into a few different colleges, but kept coming up short.

"I'm going to a party tonight if you want to go, I'd love the company." He had said, loud enough for Bennett to hear from where he was in back baking. I had agreed, asking if I could bring Jess along.

"Sure, invite whoever you want. It's a Frat party, everyone that wants to go is invited."

Those words were how I ended up sitting in the booth across from a very bored looking Bennett as we watched Tristan's head finally fall on to the counter by the show case.

"Your notes are a pathetic attempt, you know. Why don't you just say it to my face?" Bennett eventually snapped, not even trying to hide the irritation in his voice.

"Because I don't want to get told how ridiculous or stupid I am." I answered, standing up, "And I'm not going to give up, Mr. Pessimist." I walked back toward the front of the store, feeling Bennett's eyes burning into my back the entire way up there. For once, I didn't feel the need to crawl into a hole in the ground, instead I felt as if I were on cloud nine and I wasn't going to let Bennett ruin that.

**

Once I had decided what to wear, I asked Jess to come pick me up. She showed up about an hour later then she should of.

"Sorry!" She cried, bursting through my front door without knocking, "Greg kept me over a little later. We were-"

"Spare me the details." I grumbled, pulling my jacket on. She nodded, trying to catch her breath as she took in what I was wearing.

"Is Syd all dressed up nice and pretty for her first college party?" She said, giggling a little. I crossed my arms over my chest, feeling a little self conscious.

I had always felt that Jess was the main attraction and I was just the small ride next to her. She was the outgoing, bubbly girl that everyone wanted as a best friend. She was also gorgeous, with her caramel hair and big brown eyes, it was no wonder guys were constantly cat calling after her.

She had been one of my main reasons for going after guys and trying to change them, she was one of the greatest people I knew, inside and out.

"Oh! Are you dressing up for Bennett? Are you two together?" She suddenly gasped, grabbing at my arm. I shook my head, looking down at what I was wearing to distract myself from her comment.

I hadn't put anything like she had on. With her perfect legs, she could pull off almost any dress. I had put on a dress myself, but it stopped a little below my knees instead of above them. I had grabbed my jean jacket and thrown it on top of that, sure that it was probably going to get cold.

"Don't look at me like that." She mumbled, pushing a strand of hair out of my eyes, "Did you do your make-up? Have I done that great of a job with you, my dear?" She laughed evilly as headed out of the house, locking the door behind me.