~19~ Chocolate Chip Muffins On A Rainy Day

Dear Mr. Pessimist,

Did you see that shooting star last night? Did you wish on it? I know exactly what I'd wish for, but what about you? I'd be happy to hear your wish.

With Love,

Syd

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

I stood outside the bakery for almost an hour before Bennett and Tristan showed up late, sunglasses over their eyes.

"You're kidding me, right? You got drunk on a Sunday night when you knew you had work the next morning?" I said, shaking my head in disappointment.

"No, Sydney. We're the new blues brother." Tristan grumbled. I didn't respond, instead I watched Bennett grab the keys out of his pocket and unlock the door.

"I've been standing here for an hour waiting, you know?" I pointed out as we walked in. I heard Bennett snort but Tristan pulled his glasses off and put them in his jacket pocket with a sympathetic look.

"Sorry. I'll see if Mr. and Mrs. Banks can get you a spare key." I nodded, moving to stand behind the counter.

"I doubt we'll be getting much business today." Bennett spoke up, "There's supposed to be a Monsoon." I leaned over the counter, nodding slowly.

"Heard about that on the news this morning. Vegas and Californium have already been hit." I replied.

"Then wake me up when someone actually gets here." Tristan walked over to the nearest booth and laid down, draping his arm over his eyes. I looked away from him and at Bennett as he flipped the closed sign over with a heavy sigh.

"You okay?" I asked as he walked by, my eyes following him as he walked around to join me behind the counter.

"I've had better days." He mumbled, shrugging. I nodded, not knowing how to continue the conversation. And in all honesty, I was totally okay not talking at all.

The day dragged on with very few costumers, since it was pouring outside by twelve, it wasn't really that surprising. Tristan had fallen asleep, Bennett was on his phone, and I was just letting my thoughts run around wildly in my head.

My dad, who had been gone for my entire life, was now deciding he wanted to try and be part of it. One part of me wanted to forgive him, to try and work things out and make amends. But the stronger half of me didn't want anything to do with him. I'd be a few states away in about a month for college anyway, why should I let him be in my life now?

And the way my stomach had felt when Bennett hugged me last night had been. . . different. I hadn't felt anything close to that when I was with Tristan, or Zey for that matter.

Maybe I had felt some sort of connection between us. I was starting to get to know Bennett better then I knew most people. Even Jess had thought we were getting a little too close for comfort.

"Especially for not being in a relationship." She had added.

But I don't have any romantic feelings for Bennett, right? Even if I did, he really wasn't exactly. . . ready to be in a relationship, I'm sure. He had just had his whole world crumble to the ground a year ago, no one could recover from something like that so soon.

"You're face is red." Bennett said, glancing up from his phone and at me, "You thinking about sex or something?"

"Yeah, I definitely am." I responded sarcastically. He looked back down at the Iphone in his hands and sighed.