~8~ You Smell Like Cookies Pt. 2

Dear Mr. Pessimist,

Have you tried looking at yourself in the mirror lately? I love the color of your eyes, have you ever stopped for a moment to see the way they turn a bluish-gray when you move from dark to bright rooms? You should try it sometime, maybe it'll show you that's one thing you should love about yourself.

Sincerely,

Sydney

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Help? Mr. Pessimist is asking me for help?

"What?" Was my amazingly brilliant response. I sighed in relief when he lifted his phone, the flashlight on it illuminating the small space between us.

"I need you help." He repeated, "I screwed up and you're the only one that can help me." I only stared at him, knowing I probably looked far beyond confused.

Why did he suddenly need my help? And why, why the hell would he need me of all people to help him? Doesn't he hate me?

"With what? I'm here with-"

"I know, you're here with Tristan. But as you can see, all these idiots over used all the electronics here and blew a circuit." I actually felt a little relieved hearing him back to his old self. Now I knew this isn't some weird parallel universe where Bennett Banks is actually a nice person.

"I need you to pretend to be my girlfriend." He finally said, spitting it out like it was poison in his mouth, "In a few months my parents are throwing some huge party for my dad's new company and I have to look good for everyone there. And that means I need a girlfriend." I rolled my eyes before I could stop myself, my arms crossing tightly over my chest.

"I've seen how all of these movies end, and how every one of those millionaire books do as well. It won't happen with us, all you're going to do is talk crap. Why don't you just find some other girl? Why me?" I asked, feeling as if I had babbled on a little too much.

"Because my parents like you, Hale. They think you're smart and optimistic, and wonderful and so on. If I can use you to impress them, imagine how great I'll do with the CEO's." I stared at him, making sure this wasn't some type of joke.

"So you want me to pretend to be your girlfriend so you can get a job working for a huge company? What about me? What if I don't want to pretend to be your girlfriend? Do I get anything in return?" He opened his mouth to respond to my outburst of questions, but I added one more before he could.

"And why me? You've acted like nothing but a complete jerk since the first time we met, Bennett. I've been leaving those sticky notes and you've done nothing but throw them away and-"

"And that's just me, Sydney. I'm not going to change who I am for some ridiculously optimistic girl that thinks she can change me." He snapped, shaking his head as if he thought what I said itself was ridiculous.

"Well, I guess you should find another girl then, Bennett. I'm not going to let you use me, I'm not just an object that can be used and then pawned off to someone else." He grabbed my arm just as the bathroom light went back on. I jumped back in surprise, by his sudden touch or my momentary blindness I'm not sure.

"If you help me, I'll read your stupid notes, okay?" He said.

"My notes aren't stupid." I replied, reaching for the knob behind me. "I'll think about it, all right? Don't count on anything, I can promise you now that I'm not a person that can easily be taken advantage of." I stalked out of the room, shutting my eyes for a second as I added to what I had said to him, even though he was well out of hearing range.

"Not anymore."

**

I was surprised to leave the party with a sober Tristan. He had explained his horrible night in detail as we walked back out to his car.

"I tried flirting with some hot Senior, but ended up tripping and spilling my beer all over her, so she splashed hers in my face. I didn't want any after that." He joked, before telling me about how he hit his head against the door frame when the power went out, then stumbled into a room with a couple having sex in it.

"I bet your night was a lot better." He guessed, unlocking the car doors before holding the passengers side open for me.

"Believe me, it was." I didn't get into detail, I knew better then to bring Bennett up right now. Tristan had already had a crappy night, he didn't need the guy he had just fought with a few hours ago brought up.

"Hmm, well I guess we both had a shitty night, yeah?" I nodded as he walked around the car and got in, starting the car with a quiet laugh.

"Hey, you mind if we stop somewhere before we head back to your place?" He asked, revving the engine. I shrugged, setting my bag on the floor.

"I don't have a problem with it. My mom has her boyfriend over." I shuddered at the thought of what I had walked in on the other day before sending Tristan a crooked smile. He nodded, pulling away from the house.

It was about a half an hour before we pulled up to a cliff. I swallowed and slowly turned to look at Tristan.

"Um, Tristan, where are we?" I fiddled with the hem of my shirt nervously. He was grinning as he grabbed the keys and opened his door.

"My thinking spot. This is where I come when I'm not at the bakery or home. Come on." I hesitantly climbed out of the car, leaving my purse inside just in case I had to make a beeline back into it.

"Sit." Tristan said, sliding up on to the hood of his car and offering me his hand. I took it with a small smile, happy when I was finally beside him.

"I love the view. It makes me feel like I'm on top of the world." He gestured in front of us, at the bright city lights below. I grabbed on to his arm, not realizing it until he shifted a little and chuckled.

"Don't worry, we won't fall." I sighed shakily before finally taking in the breath-taking view.

I hadn't ever been this far out of town, I hadn't ever seen the light either. My mom had always made sure I never went too far from home, but I hadn't realized how close this place was either.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" He whispered in my ear, obviously aware of how afraid I was.

"Yeah." It really was once I finally got a good look at it without feeling as if we were going to roll off the cliff.

"We seriously need to bring Bennett out here sometime. It might make him lighten up a little." He snorted at his own comment.

"Tristan?" I sat up a little, staring down at my hands.

"Hmm?" He turned toward me, his hazel eyes filled with curiosity.

"Do you think. . . do you think what I'm doing is stupid? With the sticky notes? Does he even look at them?" He waited so long to respond that I was already starting to prepare myself to answer my own question.

"No, Syd. I think what you're doing is amazing. And don't worry about him reading them, I know he has. Why else would he have put his number in your phone?" He replied, smirking. I thought about what he said for a second, laying my head on his shoulder.

"Then why does he treat me like I'm a plague?" I whispered.

"Because he has a really shitty taste in women, Syd. Every girl he's been with has screwed him over or disappeared. He's bitter, hurt, and can sometimes be the biggest asshole out there, but I know his heart is still buried somewhere under that tough exterior." I felt him huff out a sigh once he was done responding. Instead of saying anything myself, I followed his gaze and stared out over the city, hoping that Tristan was right. That deep down Bennett was a good guy and that all of this wouldn't be for nothing.

***AN***

Hope you guys enjoyed! 

Let me know what you thought!

~ChasingMadness24