~3~ Cutie Pie

My brilliant plan was put to test the next few days at work.

I had only written things such as smile or laugh, but I hadn't see any changes in Bennett.

Which meant one of two things. Either he knew they were from me and threw them away without even reading them, or he read them and thought that I was going to be that delusional and optimistic girl that wasn't ever going to leave him alone.

Or both.

"Syd, you okay? You look a little constipated." I jumped up at Jessie's voice, my mind snapping back into reality. I looked around the food court around me, taking in my surroundings.

"I. . . I'm great." I waved my hand, shrugging off the strange look she was giving me. The look dropped within seconds and she threw her hand over her mouth.

"Oh my god, Syd! Kyle is walking over here." I was about to turn around when she gave me a quick shake of the head.

"Hey, beautiful." Kyle slapped his hands on to the table in between us, his dark green eyes on me.

"Hey." I pushed a lock of my hair behind my ear, giving Jessie a quick glare through my lashes. She shook her head, trying to push her brothers hand off the table.

"Uh, no." I said, smiling as I pried his hand off the table in front of us, "I still don't think you know what personal space is, kiddo." I reached up to ruffle his hair, but he was giving me a disgusted look.

"Don't call me kiddo, I'm like a year younger than you two." He flicked his sister's forehead, smirking, "But babe, I promise I have experience if you'd like to give me a try." He winked at me, ignoring the gagging sounds my best friend had started to make.

"Actually your like eleven months. You had to go and be Mom and Dad's premature miracle." Jessie said, ruffling his hair as she sipped on her milkshake, "And if you hit on Sydney one more time she'll personally get Bennett Banks to kick your ass." I gave Jess an astonished look.

Why would she say something like that? Especially when she knew that neither of us could back it up.

"Banks? You mean that douche that hates everything?" He asked, pulling a chair from the table behind him and sitting in it. "You two have something going on?" He added after a second, his eyes darkening a little.

No matter how hard I had tried to let my best friends younger brother down easy, he still made a habit of telling his friends we were dating and that I was just playing hard to get.

"Yeah, they've been having sex during their breaks down at Doughboy." I glared at my best friend, shaking my head. Why was she lying? Did she like getting a rise out of her little brother?

"Oh come one, Jess. Like I'm gonna believe that. Syd might like to change guys, but she knows that Bennett is a lost cause." I frowned at Kyle's words, slowly turning my head back in his direction.

He was staring across the room at the McDonald's, or maybe at the girl that was standing in front of it, a smile tugging at his lips again.

"He's not a lost cause." I spoke up, getting strange looks out of them both. I corrected myself before they could ask what I meant.

"He's a jerk, yeah, but he isn't a lost cause, guys. Everyone has good in them, even Mr. Pessimist." I could see Jessie trying not to laugh as Kyle shrugged and stood up.

"Syd, love." Jessie said, "Stop trying. It's not going to happen." I stood up myself, glaring at them both.

They obviously didn't understand that I wouldn't stop until I had Bennett talking to me, explaining why he was such an ass. That I wasn't going to break, no matter how hard Bennett hit me.