~15~ Bitter Batter

Dear Mr. Pessimist,

Sometimes I wonder if you're the one that cleans up after me at work. I know for a fact that I forget to do it all the time. If it's you, then thank you. I knew you had a heart somewhere in there Tin Man.

With love,

Syd

p.s Did you answer my dad yet?

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxxo

I would have thought it would have been awkward coming into work and spending almost the entire day with Tristan.

I was wrong. He acted as if nothing had happened. He still made sweet comments, still helped me out, he even still made sure that I was okay.

When Bennett finally walked in, I slapped the sticky note I'd wrote this morning on to his shoulder and smiled as he continued walking as if he hadn't realized I'd done it.

"He seems out of it." I pointed out, glancing sideways as Tristan. He was nodding, watching after his best friend with a longing look.

"I remember when he was so aware of his surroundings that he'd backhand me anytime I was a few feet away. It didn't matter if I had done anything or not." I nodded, running a hand through my hair and watching as Bennett walked out, tying an apron around his waist.

"You can head out, Tris. I've got it." Tristan sent me a shocked look before hanging his apron up behind us and hopping over the counter with a sigh.

"I guess I'll see you two tomorrow then." He bowed before grabbing his car keys out of his pocket and walking toward the entrance of the door. Just as he walked out, a whole influx of people walked in.

We had been crowded, sure, but I hadn't seen this many people in here in a while.

By the time we had almost everyone seated or leaving the building satisfied, I was ready to go home and pass out. I was watching Bennett as he cleared a couple tables, at the way he would occasionally glance over his shoulder and a booth and shake his head.

"People seriously need to learn how to throw things away." He muttered when he was behind the counter again, rubbing his temples. I leaned over the counter with a small smile.

"I'm sure people have had the same about us." He shrugged but didn't say anything. I looked out over all the people seated in the bakery. From the couple with a small child, to an elderly couple seated a few booths away from them. I could feel a smile tugging at the corners of my lips at the variety of people in here, and for the first time since I started working here a month and a half ago, I was grateful I've gotten to experience this place this summer.

**

"You heading home?" Bennett asked as I finished wiping down one of the tables. I turned around to face him with half a shrug.

"I was, why?" I replied.

"I was going to take a walk, if you wanted to join me." I nodded before I knew what I was doing.

I wasn't exactly going to have the greatest time at home. I'd be alone, probably eating some crappy TV dinner and watching reruns of old shows until Mom came home.

"Sure. Just let me grab my purse." he nodded and went in back, probably to relieve the new baker they had just hired to help out so he could go home. He came back out with the keys, shutting off the small microwave behind us. I grabbed my purse, hanging my apron up beside me.