~14~ Beat Me, Break Me

Dear Mr. Pessimist,

I thought I was going to absolutely dread going with you tonight. But it turns out that maybe it wasn't all pretend. So thank you, for being a great guy tonight. It just proves that you have it in you to be sweet and kind.

With love,

Syd

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

"Are you going out with Tristan again?"

I glanced up from where I was shutting the water off and met my mom's eyes in the mirror.

She was smiling her usual soft smile, her eyes holding the dull look in them. She had been so happy when I had told her about Tristan, when I had introduced them to each other. She had thought he was great, far greater then Zey.

"I. . . well. . ." I trailed off, not knowing exactly what to tell her.

How was I supposed to explain that I was going to pretend to be Bennett's girlfriend for the next three hours right after Tristan and I broke up?

"It's all right, sweetie. You don't have to tell me." She said softly, tearing herself off the door frame and stepping into the bathroom. She took in what I was wearing with a small smile.

"That's the dress Jess bought you for your birthday, isn't it?" I nodded, tugging at the bottom of the blue cocktail dress I had somehow let Jessica talk me into keeping. It was barely above my knees and I felt as if every inch of my body was exposed.

"Be careful, all right? If it isn't Tristan you'll be with then-"

"I'm going to be fine, Mom. It's me." I squeezed her shoulder, watching her eyes swell with tears.

"When did you get so grown up?" She whispered, brushing a strand o my curled red hair out of my eyes.

"When Dad left." I said, kissing her cheek, "I've been grown up since Dad left, someone had to take care of you." I hugged her quickly before sliding out of the bathroom and grabbing my purse from the bed.

"Will you be home for dinner?" She questioned, surprising me. She hadn't been home for dinner in weeks, she had said she'd been held up at work.

"I don't know, Mom. How about I call you later and let you know?" She nodded and handed me my jacket.

"Just make sure he's worth it, Sydney." My mom said as I opened the front door, "If he isn't then he doesn't deserve your tears."

*

I shifted nervously in my heels, my hands gripping the glass of champagne in my hand tighter.

"Oh, what a wonderful surprise!" I felt my body grow stiff at the familiar voice, wishing the ground would just split and take me now.

"Uncle Ged." I waved, finally lifting my head up to meet his eyes after a second of hesitation.

He looked just as rich and powerful-and egotistical as my dad did. His thinning red hair was slicked back and looked so greasy that not even a shower could get rid of the slickness. His dark, beady brown eyes that had sunken into his face the older he got were on me, a strange smile on his face.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, finally letting his eyes roam me. I crossed my arms over my chest and shrugged.

"Could ask you the same thing." I replied. He opened his mouth, clearly taken back by my attitude when I heard someone clear their throat behind me. When I turned, I found Bennett and my dad standing a few feet away, both of their eyes on my uncle.