Chapter Five- 'We can be friends.'

-Shane's P.O.V-

"Why were you crying Shane?", Joey whispered.

Why are you here Joey?

"Does it really matter?", I answer. "How can I even trust you Joey?"

"It does matter. Of course you can trust me.. We can be friends."

We can be friends

What the hell, one day he's beating the crap out of me and now he wants to be friends?

"Oh my god!", I sarcastically laugh. "Do you really want to know why I'm crying Joey?"

I look him right in the eyes, "I'm crying because of you."

-Joey's P.O.V-

"Because of what you do to me on a daily basis"

Oh God, I really am a horrible person.

Why did I do that to him? Look at him.. He's such a mess.

It's all your fault.

"I'm so sorry Shane", I say honestly.

Sighing he replies, "But sorry doesn't take back all of the bruises, does it Joey? It doesn't make me forget every name you've called me."

"I know, but sorry is the best I can do at the minute."

We sit in silence for a while. Awkward silence. Until Shane brakes it.

"Why are you here, Joey?"

"Wh-what?", that came out of nowhere.

"This is the one place I come to clear my head of everything. And now you're here to ruin it. Like everything else." He says bitterly, raising his voice.

"Well, Shane, I'm sorry that sometimes I need to think about things too. You're not the only one with problems." I snap back. He's starting to irritate me.

"What's wrong with you Joey? You have everything! Family, Friends, everything! What could be so horrible about your life?" Yip, he's really starting to irritate me.

"I'm gay!", I glare at him.

"Oh, Ha fucking Ha!", he is such a dick!

He gets up and spins around on his heel. He's not getting away that easy.

"Don't just get up and leave Shane!", I shout at him. Oh my god, I'd love to just hit him.

"What?! I'm not going to sit around and wait for Sawyer and Luke and Anthony and every other fucker to come running out of the trees at me! Your joke was funny, okay? I'm laughing, ha ha, now leave me alone!"

Is that really what he thinks? That it's all a big joke? That I'll hurt him again?

-Shane's P.O.V-

Go away. Go away. Go away.

I go to grab my red bag of the moist grass when I hear a whimper.

What the hell?

"Joey, why are you crying?" I ask, making my voice a lot gentler than before.

He just stands there shaking, crying, sniffling.

"Calm down Joey. It's okay." I say walking over and cautiously patting his back.

"But it's not okay Shane. Sawyer. He's telling everyone at school today. Yesterday. I was supposed to come out to Luke and Anthony, but then you came and they started beating you up. I couldn't help but think that if you didn't come I would have been the one getting the bust lip." He said between sniffs.

What a mouthful.

Giving me a weak smile he finally said, "So, thank you Shane".

"No problem, I guess.. Now stop crying."

Joey's phone suddenly blows up.

Beep. Vibrate. Beep. Vibrate.

"What the hell?", he sighs. Reaching for his phone in his pocket.

-Joey's P.O.V-

no. no. no.

This can't be happening!

I stare at the screen in horror.

"Sawyer just told everyone you're a faggot!" -Anthony.

"I can't believe it, you of all people." -Cat.

"It's done" -Sawyer.

That's when I completely broke down on the spot.

Why is this happening to me?!

"Joey! What is it?" Shane demands. Running to pick up the phone I had dropped in shock.

He swipes the phone of the grass and keeps his eyes locked on the screen.

"Oh God..", he mumbles. "I'm sorry-"

"What?! You're sorry? It's not your fault!"

Why is he blaming himself? Did he have something to do with it?

I sit down again and cry and cry and cry.

How am I supposed to show my face now? Everyone is going laugh at me.

I can't even hear Shane anymore. He probably left. I made his life a misery.

"Shh, Joey", He's still here?!

-Shane's P.O.V-

He nearly jumps off the ground completely when I start rubbing his back.

Why is he so surprised? He knew I was here.

His red blotchy face turns towards me and I look straight into his eyes.

His green teary eyes.

"We can be friends"

____________________

I was going to update again yesterday. But I fell asleep with only half of chapter five wrote..

But I wrote the rest of it this morning! Yay!

This whole chapter was just speaking so it isn't long.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes :)

Bye <3