Ch: 2 The Vanishing Glass

CHAPTER TWO

THE VANISHING GLASS

Almost ten years have passed since that day when Lilian was dropped off at Mrs. Figg's house. Now Lilian is 10 years old. Lilian grew up to be a very polite and kind girl. Mrs. Figg has a temper and she doesn't like it when people don't have manners. But she wasn't the worst. Lilian was rather happy, unlike Harry she wasn't malnourished and abused. He was stuck with the worst people in the entire world, the Dursley's.

Due to Lilian being the same age as their son Dudley and the only friend of Harry she was stuck with the Dursleys. They showed their immediate dislike for her and Dudley was a living nightmare. He would pull on her hair and make all of the kids at school mess with her. Which was the reason why Harry was her only friend. Now it wasn't like she wasn't a good kid, she was.

She had straight A's and was ready to make friends, only the other kids weren't. So every year she would put on a big smile and be nice to everyone but they would all ignore her like Harry. After awhile she became tired of it and disappeared into the world of imagination. Books were the only thing that was nice to her besides Harry. She could pretend she was anything in the world and could go anywhere in the world.

Her favorite genre was fantasy and science fiction, she loved to pretend she had powers and was a superhero. She wasn't like other girls who wanted to be a princess, because in most of the stories she read they were all weak. She wanted to be her own person, she didn't care if a hot prince was going to save her. The prince won't always be there to help her so she looked at more powerful female characters. Which was almost impossible until you read books for older kids. The little 100 page stories and picture books didn't fit her. So after she read all of the books in the kid's section in the library she went to the teen section.

If she didn;t find interest in those books she would read non-fiction even biographies. As she got older she noticed that she wasn't challenged anymore in school. Everything was too easy and too boring, but she told Mrs. Figg that she wasn't going to slip up her grades. One she was done reading she would continue to read. But this time about science and history while working on math. She liked science and math the most and had the highest score in the class.

"Lily get up!" Mrs. Figg said.

"My name is Andy, if that's not good than call me Lilian!" She would yell, but she didn't. She just got out of the bed. She didn't like her nickname because they would start calling her Lily and whenever they did that she had a sinking feeling in her stomach and would say to call her name correctly Lilian or Andy. Mrs. Figg would always call her Lily so she just got used to it. Her nickname Andy came from her middle name Andromeda, which is a mouthful. But she doesn't know why her middle name is that.

The only thing she knows about herself is that her first and middle name were names that were similar or the same as people her parents knew. Who were her parents? No idea. She used to ask a lot of questions about them but Mrs. Figg would just say that 'When you receive a letter someone will tell you.' She didn't even understand what that meant. But she knew what her parents and Harry's looked like.

Ever since she was younger she had a gold necklace with a picture of two couples and two babies. The babies were her and Harry and the couples were their parents. Sometimes she would think about what her life would be like if she actually knew her parents and could speak to them. The weird thing about her necklace is that the pictures moved. Sometimes they would smile at her and other times they would mouth words to her. None of the pictures in the house could do that.

Lilian put on a long sleeved blue shirt and black pants and looked in the mirror and started messing with her hair. Since no one had hair like her around her, she had to figure it out herself. Harry was the one that had the closest hair to her compared to the rest of the people in Little Whining. His was unruly while hers was thick, lustrous and curly.