Chapter 4

Skylar

"Ethan? What are you doing here?" I hold onto my phone as he squints his eyes at me.

"Who is Alexander? You seem worried." Ethan reaches for me but I pull away. He sighs but doesn't comment on it.

"Alexander is someone important to me. He is my nephew. I need to get back home."  My fingers shake as I try to find my keys.

My hand slips and my purse falls from my grip. Everything spills on the pavement.

"Damn it." I kneel down and Ethan quickly puts everything back inside but doesn't return my purse.

"I'll take you. You are not in a good condition to drive." He doesn't hesitate to take my arm. Everything is a blur as I get seated inside the car.

"What about my car?" I ask facing him. Finally coming to my senses.

"I will ask someone to bring it to your house tomorrow. What is your address?"

After arguing with myself for a minute, I decide to tell him. The drive to my house is silent. I stare out the window worrying about Xander.

What if he needs to be taken to the hospital...

"How old is Alexander. Is it Scarlett's son? Or Elliots?" Ethan asks out of the blue.

I squirm in my seat and slowly say ' three years old' I turn to face him to see him nod.

"Elliot's son." His eyes turn to me and a small smile blossoms on his face. I slowly nod.

"I'm happy for him." He stays quiet and it seems like he is recalling something.

Once I see the familiar street, I sit up straight and prepare to unbuckle myself. When he parks outside my house I murmur a 'Thank you'

I feel his warm hand wrap around my elbow and I quickly turn around.

"I'll see you tomorrow." I nod and walk out. I wait for him to go but he doesn't.

After I open my door and walk inside, I hear the engine start and the car driving away.

"Oh, you are here." I see Layla carrying Xander in her arms. I pull him to my chest and he snuggles closer to me.

"His fever has gone down. He is much better than before. You don't have to worry about it." I nod and watch Layla go back inside her room.

I go up to my room and place Xander on the bed.

I take of my dress and put on my pajamas.

I brush my teeth then lay myself next to Xander. Throughout the night, I wake up to make sure Xander is doing just fine.

~~~~~~

I wake up to a giggle and someone poking me on the face.

"Mommy!" I mumble a reply and open my eyes slowly.

I yawn and stretch my sore muscles.

"Hello baby. How are you feeling?" He rolls around in bed.

His big smile making me laugh.

"Better!" The door swings open and Layla comes in.

"Sorry to interrupt so suddenly but are you expecting someone?" I shake my head placing Xander on the floor.

"There is a blue car parked outside on the driveway. A handsome man is leaning against it." I stare at her with a confused face. I make my way to the window and see Ethan looking around.