Chapter 8

Skylar

I make my way to the cafeteria and glance around for any familiar faces. I look down at my phone and sigh as I read the time.

Most of my colleagues must have ate earlier. I pull out my wallet and shove my phone in my pants.

"What should I get today." I ask myself.

I decide on buying a sandwich.

I had little to no appetite.

"You are just now eating?!" I look up at Mrs. Austin, the lunch lady, she smiles at me and takes my card.

"Yeah. I had to finish a few things before lunch." She shakes her head and hands me my card and some utensils.

"I should go yell at your boss for giving you so much work." She slaps the counter.

"No worries! I am going to tell him myself." I wink at her.

Suddenly, I feel a stare at the back of my head. I turn around and scan the area but no one is staring back.

Strange, I swear I felt someone's eyes on me.

After ending the conversation with Mrs. Austin, I spot an empty table and make myself comfortable.

I start to eat when the chair in front of me screeches and I look up to see a guy staring back at me.

I stare at him suspiciously.

Do I know him?

He looks like any other guy at the office, however, his eyes hold my stare. It makes me uncomfortable but I don't look away.

"Is this seat taken?" I look at the seat in front of me then at the guy.

"Yes." I continue eating my sandwich.

"Oh, okay." His brown eyes follow my every movement until they look behind me. He quickly excuses himself.

What was that about?

Dismissing the thought I go back to eating. Not a minute later the chair makes a noise again and a shadow hovers over me.

"I thought I was going to be the only one eating at this time." I smile up at Grace as she sits herself down.

"What happened now?" I ask.

She dives to tell her story about the issues and paperwork she had to do for her department. Our conversation smoothly continues but the feeling of being stared at never leaves.

**

I begin packing and cleaning up my office.

Mrs. Dave waves at me as I leave.

I take the elevator to the basement and wait for Ethan to show up. I lean against his car and skim through my social media.

"We meet again! Are you leaving too?" My eyes scan over the guy.

"Yeah." I look back down at my phone and spot Ethan's name.

I press the call button.

"Excuse me. I have a call to make." He doesn't leave and the last thing I want is for me to get ambushed.

I keep my eyes on him as the phone continues to ring. He patiently waits with a smile on his face.

Maybe I'm overthinking, but I haven't seen this guy work here before.

Everything about him makes me nervous. I look around the empty and dark parking lot.

"I'm almost there. Sorry for making you wait." I hear Ethan say on the other line.

"Of course. If you can just bring me my pencil case." I chew on my lip and pray to god he understood what I meant.

We used to have a safe word back in college. Whenever I felt uncomfortable or scared during any of my college events, I'll call Ethan and tell him to bring me my pencil case.

"Are you by the car? I'll be there in a second. Don't hang up!" He whispers and I smile.

"Yes. The blue one." I look back at the guy and freeze. The second I got distracted he had moved closer to me.

"Who is it?" He asks. His question shouldn't make me feel uneasy but it does.

I pull the phone away from my ear. Keep it together.

"I never got your name. My name is Sky. What about yours?" His smile grows.

"Samuel. I just started working here." He gets a bit closer.

Now I'm really getting uncomfortable!

I place the phone back on my ear.

"Hey. I have to go. If you can't find my pencil case that's okay." I hang up.

"You lost your pencil case?" He opens his bag and I stiffen.

"Yeah but one of my colleagues is trying to look for it. I should go back upstairs."

Where the hell is Ethan!

"Do you need it right now? Are you off tomorrow?" He blocks my view of the sliding doors.

"I usually keep all my drives inside the pencil case. Anyways, shouldn't you be on your way?" I motion for him to step away.

"I wanted to get to know you. I'm new here, so I'm trying to learn new names and make some friends." He trails off.

"Well. It was nice meeting you Samuel. I need to get going. I would kindly talk to you during lunch time!" I hurry pass him but his arm on my hand stops me.

"Why are you in such a hurry?" He whispers.

"I—" The door to the basement swings open. He quickly turns to the sound. We both watch as Ethan runs to us while keeping an eye on Samuel.

"I didn't find your pencil case." Ethan pants out. He stands slightly in front of me.

"Well, I think it is time for me to leave. See you later Sky." Samuel waves and walks away.

"Are you okay." Ethan turns to me and grabs my shoulders. His eyes take their time to look me over even though I keep nodding.

"We should go home." I mumble.

I am exhausted.

"Who was he anyways?" Ethan asks as we drive to my house.

"A new intern? I have no clue from which department." I shrug and Ethan taps on the wheel before turning to me.

"I'll ask my team to get me a file of him." He places his hand on my thigh and gives it a squeeze.

I nod and place my hand on top of his.

"This is it." I whisper to myself as we get closer to my house.
**