Prologue

Prologue

Lilly sat on the bench outside her girl scouts class waiting for her father. Small legs swinging beneath her, she stared at the corner of the street the familiar silver car would turn. Butterflies danced in her stomach, her fingers patted her sides anxiously and she distracted them by tugging at the short pig-tails of her hair. It was a big day for the nine year old girl. After two weeks of learning 3D with modeling clay in her girl scouts class, Lilly finally finished her project she had been working so hard on. She jumped when her dad's car came into view. Only a few more minutes and she would see Joshy.

At home, Lilly changed into an orange dress with a white belt. A matching head band pushed back her hair and looked over herself in the mirror. She wished she had better shoes, but the white flip flops were the only pair that matched the dress. She wanted to look older, and she felt pretty confident she achieved the look. She only hoped the boy she was trying to impress would think the same. Joshua Thomas, or as she called him since she could talk, Joshy, was not only her next door neighbor, but also Duncan's, her older brother, best friend and eighteen years old. Thanks to him and Duncan's friendship since before she was born, Joshua has been in her life from day one. She grew up with the two boys and although she was years younger, they didn't mind when she tagged along to the mall or even including her when they would throw a football to one another at he park. Although Duncan was her brother, it was Joshua she favored. She believed no one could guess her feelings for him, but the way she fawned over him made both families very aware of her crush, at least in their eyes. To Lilly, she had fallen in love with the boy with the storm blue eyes and crooked smile. Which is why she had to look mature today, because today Lilly was finally going to confess her feelings to Joshy. She went to her desk where the small blue gift bag sat. Besides it was a thick gold ring with a large dark red stone embedded in the center. Joshy had given her his class ring the day he graduated. She remembered his words of telling her it was his lucky charm and was now passing it to her. Lilly needed all the luck she could get and snapped the chain around her neck. She was ready.

A knock at the door made her confidence leap out of her. Before she could answer it swung open.

"Lilly! You ready to go?"

Kassandra Price, preferred by Kassie, her best friend for two years now bounced into her room. Her long black hair was in two braids on either side of her head. A set of pink framed sunglasses covered half her face, but Lilly knew her green eyes held her wild personality she always has. Cladded in overalls with a red shirt underneath, Kassie gave her friend a hug.

"I thought I had my bedroom door locked." Lilly said.

Kassie pinched a hair pin out of her braid. "Come on Lilly, you know I can get through that easily." She looked her over. "You look cute. Joshua will like."

Being her best friend, Kassie was also invited to many outings with Lilly, her brother and Joshua. It didn't take long for her to notice the blush on Lilly's cheeks whenever Joshua was around. Lilly confided to Kassie of her feelings after much prompting and has been the only person to know since.

"I was hoping to look mature more than cute." Lilly worried.

"Mature? You still call him Joshy."

Lilly fidgeted with her headband. It was true. She tried calling him Joshua or Josh like everyone else, but since she learned how to talk it was always Joshy. Her nickname for him. She let out a deep breath then reached for the gift, ready to go.

"What's that?" Kassie peeked over her shoulder.

Lilly held it out of reach from her eyes. Kassie knew that she was in love, but she didn't tell her about the homemade gift or big plans for today. She wanted something to be her secret. "Not for you, its for Joshy. Can we go?"