Three

The first day of school was a day Lilly never took seriously. Textbooks were handed out, teachers assigned seats and the rest of the period was usually left to going over the class syllabus for the semester. An easy way to start the school year, but Lilly had been stressed since going to bed last night. The task of matching a shirt with jeans, shoes and accessories was more difficult than it should have been. She finally settled on a light pink blouse, dark jeans and sparkly beige flats. It had taken her so long to pick an outfit that she did not have any time to do anything with her hair so she quickly ran a brush through it while she walked down the school hallway.

Her first class, environmental science was very interesting and the teacher already planned a trip to a nature center for them to study the local plants and wildlife of the area which Lilly was very excited about. Once the bell rang signaling the period was over her nerves quickly came back. Calculus was next. Joshua's class.

She had tried her best to prepare herself for this. Joshua came over frequently and she went to his house down the street whenever Duncan did. It took a while, but she was beginning to become comfortable with him being around again. Duncan had taken a few days off work to help his best friend get some things done in the new house and Lilly usually came over with lunch or dinner if she wasn't working at the shelter. When they weren't working at the house, Joshua was over playing video games or just hanging out. He shared stories of his time in Arizona and always had questions for Lilly during the time he was gone, wanting to know everything he missed from her life. His crooked smile and soothing voice always flustered her, but besides that, she found it easy to carry a conversation with him.

Turning the corner that would bring her to where his class made her heart pound. It was one thing to see and talk to Joshua every day as a friend, it was a whole new story having him as a teacher on top of that. A few students disappear into the same doorway she would be entering and she quickly stowed her brush into her tote school bag, inhaled a deep breath and followed suit.

He was the first thing she saw the moment she walked in and she was grateful for the big intake of breath before coming into the room because she held it while her eyes looked in a way she's never seen him before.

At the front of the class, greeting each student as they walked in with a smile and handshake, Joshua stood in a sky blue button up top, sleeves folded to his elbows. It showed off his broad chest and the color brought out the cobalt blue of his eyes that had a warm look as he said hello to each student. The beige pants hugged his muscular legs with a black belt looped around the waist despite Lilly thinking it was unneeded with a glance at how well the material shaped his ass. A black tie was tucked under the collar of his shirt, swaying gently as he moved and an image of her fingers twirling it around her hand flashed through her mind. She lightly shook her and finished making her way to him.

His eyes landed on her, a shimmer in them as he quickly glanced over her and became warmer when his large hand took hers, causing little lighting bolts to streak up her arm and into her chest.

"Good morning." His voice had the same effect it did when he always spoke to her, making her brain fuzzy and forgetful of how to use words herself. "I'm Mr. Thomas, your new teacher for the year."

Her senses were too distracted by the feel of her hand in his and she almost missed the raised eyebrow he cocked at her. "Oh- My name is Lilly Hollands. Um, nice to meet you."

"Very nice to meet you Lilly, take a seat anywhere and we'll get started once the bell rings. I look forward in getting to know you while I'm your teacher."

She nodded, feeling the quick squeeze he gave before releasing her hand then turning to the student behind her. Lilly found a desk in the center of the room and sat, clenching and unclenching her fist to ease the electricity his grip left. Whispers and giggles made her glance around to see two girls with their heads bent towards one another, smiling and casting looks towards Joshua. The back of her neck prickled and she looked down at her hands. Of course she wasn't the only one to see Joshua's good looks. There was no doubt in her that he would have multiple admirers from students and staff by the end of the day. The final bell rang and everyone settled in their seats.