Eleven

The next afternoon, Joshua called Duncan and invited him and Lilly over for lunch. Because last night when Lilly walked out after a conversation he never in a million years thought he would have with her, the first thing he did was go to the supermarket with twenty minutes to spare before closing and bought all the fixings a shit ton of sandwiches.

Since he didn't know how to put his life back in order, he could at least put together a pretty damn good sandwich.

It was all sounding pretty stupid when his front door opened.

Duncan walked in holding a large box followed by Harley who carried a plastic bag in her jaws. Kassie was next and Joshua wasn't surprised to see her. If there weren't things to be done at the shelter, Kassie was at their house. It's always been like that since he was in high school and remembered seeing Kassie playing with Lilly outside and even sleepover the same days she would at times. Lilly walked in next, her eyes immediately finding him and she smiled.

He wondered if he made the right decision because now that she was here, every inch of him demanded to focus on her and he was slipping again. Her hair was twisted into a side french braid that dangled over her shoulder and she wore a striped t-shirt with denim overalls that and white converse shoes.

And by being able to describe her appearance meant he just checked her out again.

"What did you guys bring?" He asked, averting his gaze to Duncan.

"Halloween decorations!" Kassie declared gleefully. "We're going to decorate this boring place."

"They just finished my house. I woke up and there was a damn spider the size of my fist on the stair railing." Duncan grumbled.

"He shouted for Harley to attack it when he saw it." Kassie elbowed Duncan with a snicker.

Joshua raised his eyebrows at his best friend.

"The size. Of my. Fist." Duncan growled setting the box on top of the couch. "What do you have for lunch?"

Joshua tried to ignore the flash of embarrassment through him. "Sandwiches. I have a bunch of stuff you guys can pick from in the kitchen."

"You invited me over so I can make my own sandwich?" Duncan asked.

"Shut up and follow me." Joshua said and took the three of them to his kitchen.

"Holy shit you do have a lot!" Kassie exclaimed when she opened the fridge.

He did. Joshua had at least five different kinds of sliced deli meat, three flavors of cheese and bread, fresh lettuce, tomato, onion, olives and an assortment of condiments. Plus he bought all sorts of chips for a side. The art of sandwich making was very important to him last night.

And when one only had twenty minutes to shop before the store closed one simply throws everything into the cart and makes a hasty retreat.

Duncan whacked Kassie on the back of the head with his paper plate. "Watch your mouth."

Lilly appeared beside Joshua and all his senses became alert. Watched her fingers cover her lips as she smiled. He heard the light giggle from watching Kassie return the smack with a slice of bread. The hair on his arms stood on end as he fought back the urge to reach out and touch her. Her sweet smell filled his nose and set off his saliva glands as his mouth wondered if the scent matched the taste of her skin.

Control Joshua. This is why she's here. Take control again.

He smiled down at her, he cheeks straining. "What can I get for you, pretty lady?"

Her eyes widened slightly at him and he mentally cursed. She looked away and took a moment longer than he thought necessary to ponder the three choices of bread before pointing to the wheat loaf. "Mayo, lettuce, salami, turkey and the white cheese."