Eight

The mall was busy, crowded and loud with all sorts of families and people doing their weekend shopping. Lilly walked beside Kassie as they made their way to store number two of their shopping trip so far.

"Let's hope this place has a better selection," Kassie said grumpily when they walked into the clothing store.

"It doesn't help that it's near the end of the season, fall in next month. These stores have had Halloween merchandise since the end of August." 

Her friend turned a narrowed green stare on her. "Not only can I hear the relief in your voice, but I can see it in you. Just one night of sleep was enough time to get you to take back everything you said yesterday, huh?"

Lilly chewed on the inside of her cheek, guilt washing over her. "It's a pretty stupid idea..."

"Exactly and when was the last time you had one of those? Stupid ideas are fun."

"And illegal."

Kassie threw both arms over the rack of swimsuits they were currently rummaging and sighed loudly through her nose. "You're not planning on sleeping with the man, even though you are of age."

"He's my teacher Kassie."

"Josh is someone you've known since before you could walk, someone who became your first love and someone who became the main reason for global warming."

"Meaning?"

"He's hot!" Kassie exclaimed in a very obvious matter. "Puberty punched him in the face, stomach, and ass because that beard and booty weren't there before and I bet a year's worth of cat baths at the shelter that the man has a six pack hidden under those collar shirts."

"Kassie-"

"Nope. I don't want to hear it." She thrust a bikini at Lilly. "Try this on and while you're stripping, think of Joshua, the man who you've had a thing for since diapers, the really hot man that lives down the street from you. Not your teacher." Another bikini shoved at her.

Lilly took the bathing suits and found the fitting rooms, grumpily dropping them on the bench inside beside her purse. She had just slipped her shirt and jeans off when her phone started ringing. She dug through her purse, deciding to ignore it if it were Kassie calling to make sure she came out of the changing room for her to see. Her heart slammed against her ribcage when she saw Joshua's name on the screen. She bounced on her toes a moment before answering.

"Hello?"

"Come over my place."

Her finger scrambled on the edge of the phone to lower the volume, feeling like Joshua's deep voice echoed in the small room. "What? No- I mean- why?"

"I have some free time before I head to a job site, enough to fit in a session of calculus tutoring you need so much."

"Sorry, but I can't, I'm not home."

"Where are you?"

"At the mall," Through clenched teeth, she sucked in a breath, glancing at herself in the mirror where she stood in just a pink bra with purple panties. Her arm covered her midsection the moment she answered the phone, feeling strange talking to him in just her underwear. "in a changing room."

A throaty chuckle made her toes curl. "Nice try Lil',"

She balled her fist up, a surge of determination washing over the awkwardness she was just suffering. "Don't know if you can count it trying or just your impeccable time of calling. You caught me in just my panties."

A loud banging sound made her pull the phone away for a brief second, bringing it back in time to hear him swear. 

"What was that?" She asked.