Being Soaked is so, not, Fun

Chapter 1: Being Soaked is so, not, Fun

Word count: 1814

Manga chapters: none

I was soaked to the bone, my mouth blue and home to teeth which refused to stop chattering. My feet were coated in mud and possessed toes felt as though they were bleeding. Walking for days on end can do that to a person.

I could hardly see anything, even the leaves overhead were blurry, the water seeping downwards in my eyes and the exhaustion encompassing everything within my world. I wasn't sure how much longer I'd last. 

I bent over more, hugging the only warmth I possessed – Shimo – a tiger cub porcelain fur, obsidian claws and vibrant blue eyes, a fire behind shining through a sapphire gem. They were a treat to look at. Even though she was tucked into my jumper and pressed against my skin I struggled couldn't feel any of her heat.

When I could see a detail belonging to the surrounding world it was the same, a scenery of forest, so repetitive I almost thought I was imagining seeing it. I was strongly considering the idea that I kept bringing forth a memory from the beginning of my journey and replaying it as though it was the first time I'd seen it.

It wasn't until my feet banged against a wooden surface that I stopped, dragging my eyes upwards. Before Shimo and I were some of the tallest gates I'd ever laid my eyes, the green gates of the Hidden Leaf Village.

"I guess this is as good a home as any, don't you think Shimo?" I asked, my chin dropping into the opening of my jumper. Shimo raised her head a little and stuck her noise out, licking my chin before snuggling into me again.

Though I held little hope of an answer I began banging my hands against the wood. My spirits lowered even further when I realised that the noise was barely audible to me.

This rain would be the death of me.

The exhaustion finally overtook me, the walking from earlier the only thing which had kept me in the lead. I slumped against the green gates and closed my eyes. Shimo released the smallest of whimpers, but I neither the energy or mind to help her.

~

I woke to the droning sound of a hospital monitor.

The noise caused my blood to begin pumping with a fever and my breath to fire out. My eyes sprung open and I pushed myself into a sitting position. Pain coursed through my chest and I collapsed in a fit of coughs, my legs bracing me. Shimo was quick to join me, leaping onto the bed and giving my cheek a gentle lick. Her comfort and presence meant everything to me.

With my coughing refusing to subside the monitors began responding and a whirlwind of alarms sounded off. A sea of people rushed into the room and immediately joined my side, a green glow emanating from their fingers. As is expected my chest began to loosen, my coughing subsided and my air ways opened. It felt good to breathe again.

The closest attendant presented me with a glass of water and I greedily accepted it, sculling it in a matter of moments. The cup was plastic which allowed me to release some of my frustration without damaging anything, I crushed it up and threw the ball across the room. Real rebellious, I know.

The room was simple, a classic hospital. I was sharing it with three others, two of whom were asleep. The third was enjoying a puzzle booklet and in the bed closest to my left, but she'd lowered the paper and pencil, opting to watch my awakening. The room held a large horizontal window, one of the panels pushed to the side slightly, allowing for a gentle breeze. I gladly welcomed it.