Where Were You?

Hermione's POV

I was gasping for air.

My lungs filling to brim as if I hadn't breathed for weeks.
Which of course I new wasn't possible.

In the room was a blur of colors. People were rushing and through the chaos I saw a woman. She grabbed my hand and her pale skin contrasted with the darkness of the man's next to her.

Her hand was like silk and ice cold.

I pulled my hand back and the hurt in her eyes was visible.

Brow furrowed, I looked around the room, it was painted a deep burgundy and a dark crown molding framed the top.

There was a slight layer of dust on the mantel and my mind started to keep track of things in the room. Things that were real.

Objects that could be counted.

Candle stick.
Lamp.
Candle.
Match holder.
Letter opener.
Parchment
Inkwell
Small jar of sweets.

Blanket on a cushiony chair next to the fireplace.

Several quills
A few hooks by the door-

My inner monologue was interrupted by someone calling my name.

"Hermione." I looked up to see Blaise across the room standing beside the chair.

Letting out a breath I didn't know I was holding onto, and looking him in the eye I slowly nodded.

"Are you-" he didn't know what to say.

What could you really say?

There was shifting in the room and the man standing next to the woman spoke.

"None of us really know what to say....I think we can get that out if the way. So I guess we should start somewhere. " his voice was level, calm and comforting. "I'm Elliott Zabini." He stuck out his hand as if for me to shake, I took it and did so slowly and concentrated.

"This is Merriam, my wife. " I shook her hand slowly trying to make eye contact but it hurt me, as if it was a painful memory.

"This is a lot to take in but we're your-"

"Biological parents." I finished. The words coming out of my mouth made me feel slightly nauseous. I took a few deep breaths and they all just nodded.

"I don't. I just. It's a lot to take in. 48 hours ago I thought my parents where alive. 24 hours ago I found out they were dead. 6 hours ago I was an only child. Now I'm not an only child, my biological parents are alive and I'm related to someone who didn't like me in school who is friends with someone and who actually tried to kill me on multiple occasions." I was shaking my head and I just wanted to feel safe again.

I wanted my mother.

Great a 19 year old wanting her mother , so much maturity.

Tossing my legs off the bed I ran a hand through my hair before resting my elbows on my knees and putting my head in my hands.

I felt a hand rub my back and someone sit on the bed next to me.

I felt tears streak my cheeks again and my whole face felt hot.

My breathing came in long wisps punctuated by short gasp.

The bed sunk in a bit as someone sat down next to me, arms wrapping around me tried to breath.

It was so strange this family that someone told me was mine. A group of individuals that hated me, I thought hated me, for a long time. People I thought wanted me to burn. Now telling me it wasn't like that at all. That I was related to them. I was their daughter, I was his sister. Their lives must have been hell. Seeing me. But not getting to speak to me. Getting to be so close to me. Yet what must have seemed like worlds apart.
How could I have been so selfish to think that this was made up. This family had nothing left to fight with me over. They were not doing this to hurt me. They had nothing left to want from my hurt.