Something Else

There is an actual poster for the next concert to the right :) >>

  It had been two weeks since Vicky's encounter with Jimmy and she was wishing more and more that she had gone through with his intentions. She, Jackie, and Robert were still settling in this new town, but Vicky liked it. Sunny and warm.

  It was her birthday today, and soon she would receive her presents from her two friends. That is, after she finished studying a poster that had been put up in the window of a local store. It was for the Led Zeppelin concert that was going to be preformed at San Diego Sports Arena.

  She wished and wished she could attended, then wished that she could be lucky enough to go backstage. Those dreams were so unrealistic that stopped thinking about them altogether. She scoffed and walked home.

  According to the news channel, Led Zeppelin's North American tour was on their way to her town, then to Inglewood and Long Beach, LA.

  Her feet brought her home without any recollection of doing so, and she opened the door to her new two-story home

  Inside, Vicky climbed the carpeted staircase to the second floor. She entered her sunny bedroom, where she sat in a chair in the corner and studied the ocean outside her window. A painting easel was set in front of her.

  She intended to paint a beach scene and sell it for some money. She pulled a box of painting supplies out from under her bed and collected an arm full of colors she figured she'd need. She set them on her bed, then dug around in the box for a decent paint brush. Instead, she found a huge crumpled up piece of photo paper.

  She uncrumpled it to see two familiar eyes hidden underneath long stringy black hair; a handsome, sexy man holding a Les Paul guitar. Her heart stopped as tingles were sent down her spine. Jimmy Page. She ogled the picture for a minute until her door opened and she jumped, then turned to face the door. She hid the poster.

  Jackie and Robert walked in holding a candle-riddled Birthday cake. Robert looked bored but Jackie looked excited.

  "Happy Birthday!" Jackie well-wished. She and Robert carried the cake to Vicky's dresser and set it down. Jackie began to sing Happy Birthday with Robert in reluctant tow. When she finished, Vicky stood to blow out the candles. She hugged her best friend.

  "Thank you," Vicky told her and let her go. Vicky looked at Robert. Jackie elbowed him in the stomach and he grunted. With a sigh, he opened his arms for a hug. Vicky walked over to him and hugged him back. When they separated a second later, Jackie shivered in excitement.

  "We got you the best present ever," she told Vicky. She elbowed Robert, a bright smile still on her face.

  With another grunt and a piercing look at his girlfriend, he added, "Yeah, we saw how disappointed you were in Uniondale, so we--"

  "We bought you a ticket to the concert at San Diego Sports Arena right afterwards!" she yelled.

  "You mean...?" Vicky implored.

  "Led Zeppelin!" she shouted. "We barely managed to get you a ticket, it was practically sold out." The two held arms and began to jump and scream. They hugged, and afterwards, Jackie added something that made Vicky's heart stop.

  "And Vick," she began, shivering with crazy excitement for her friend, "Rob paid an extra fifty dollars for the VIP backstage pass. Happy Birthday!"

                                                            ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪

  "You're damn lucky," Robert conceded from the driver's seat, looking at Vicky's reflection through the rear-view mirror of his Grand Am while Light My Fire played on the radio. Vicky climbed into the passenger's seat as he drove down the unfamiliar highway. "Not many people got into the after-concert party. Fifty bucks was a bit much."

  "Thank you, Robby," she responded, leaning over and kissing him on the cheek. He smiled and faced her, then shrugged.

  "It was your birthday. What else was I supposed to get you?"

  There was a long awkward silence as CCR played Bad Moon Rising in the background. Vicky turned to Robert and sighed. "Why are we rude to each other?"

  There was another long pause, and Robert's reply both shocked and warmed Vicky. "Because we're like brother and sister. We've lived together now for what? Three years? I'm just surprised I haven't proposed to Jackie yet."

  "Why don't you?" Vicky asked.

  "I don't know... I guess I can be a bit of an idiot, eh?"

  "I'll say," Vicky replied jokingly.

  "Hey!" Robert laughed.