Dazed and Confused

The phone rang persistently as Jackie watched Scooby Doo re-runs. Robert was out, and Jackie felt too lazy to reach for the phone. Begrudgingly, she stood and answered the caller.

  "Hello?"

  "Jackie?" came a familiar voice. "Jackie, it's Vicky."

  "Vicky!" Jackie shouted into the speaker. In a calmer tone, she began, "Where have you been? Robert and I have been worried sick! Sick! Why haven't you called? You aren't with Jimmy, are you? No way, are you with Jimmy!? Is he there!? Vicky? Vicky!"

  There was a moment's pause, then, "Calm down, Jackie. I didn't call because I was busy. I met up with Jimmy after that concert-- thank you again for buying me those tickets. My world is upside down, this is unfreakingbelievable! " She cleared her throat. "Jimmy's right next to me."

  "WHAT!? Let me talk to him! Please please please, oh Vicky, I would just die!"

  There was some talking in the background, then Vicky's voice was back. "Sure!"

  "Are you serious...?" Jackie screamed. "Oh my God, oh my dear God!"

  After a bit of shuffling on the other line, a new voice was on the line. "Hello," came a cute higher-pitched British accent. 

  Jackie was speechless. "I-- I-- I-- love you..." She managed to stammer. "You are God... I'm so happy right now! Oh my God... Oh wow..."

  Jimmy chuckled. "I'm honored. That really means a lot to me and my band! I hope you aren't too upset that I've stolen your friend. We might want to keep her just a little bit longer."

  "N-- no problem, Mr. Page!" Jackie almost cried.

  "Please, call me Jimmy. Well, have a fabulous life, Jackie," Jimmy concluded, and Jackie knew he was smiling. Her heart pounded fast.

  "You too! Long live Led Zeppelin!" The phone was transferred to Vicky again, and Jackie screamed again. "Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love you, Vick!"

  Vicky laughed. "No problem, sweetheart. I love you too. How is Robert?"

  "Okay."

  "Great. Well, I just had to check in and give you the update. I have to go. I'll be home some day, just keep the door open for me, love. Bye!"

  "Bye, Vicky, talk to you soon!" Jackie hung up and flopped onto the couch, clutching at her chest.

  "Zoinks!" Jackie heard Shaggy say from the Tv. Yeah, 'Zoinks'...

  "Thank you for talking to my friend for me," Vicky told Jimmy. "That means a lot to me."

  "Yeah, well, I should have guessed you were going to be one of those kinds of birds," Jimmy growled. Vicky was silent for a moment, processing what he had just said. "It's hard for a guy like me to have a truly sincere relationship without having the girl make me do public things, like I'm a trophy of sorts."

  "Well, I'm sorry," Vicky muttered. "I just though that it would make Jackie's day--"

  "I don't care about Jackie!" he shouted. "I'm sick of this game with you! This on and off, this tease."

  "I'm sorry--"

  Jimmy's eyes became slits. "Sorry doesn't cut it. I guess I'll just have to stay with groupies for the rest of my life!"

  "You have a wife and a daughter!" Vicky screamed, remembering the heartbreak she had gone through when Robert told her that night she had gone home with Jimmy. In a calmer tone, she remarked, "Please, Jimmy, the pills are doing something to you."