Chapter 5: Times are trust

I went on the bus with Kristine that afternoon. It felt weird to go on a bus, I’ve gotten used to only going on a bus for fieldtrips. I sat in a seat alone with my legs stretched out. Kristine sat on the seat in front of mine. The bus was almost empty the ride seemed to take forever. I couldn’t stop thinking on what could be the reason why her mom sent that message. Earlier today after reading the message I told everyone to ignore this whole Phantom thing and to do what Bruno did. After that we went on like we always do on a regular day.

      “Why do you think she wants me come?” I asked her.

      “I don’t know, I called her but she didn’t answer.” She answered as the bus stopped at the edge of her neighborhood. We both got off and began to walk to her house. When we reached it I saw my dad’s car parked in the driveway. I stopped at the front of her house and looked around until I spotted what I was looking for in an electric wire, a group of crows of around nine of them.

      “Let me do something right now before I forget.” I said to her looking straight at the crows. “Fly to me, I have something I want you all to do.” The group of birds flew down gently and landed on the ground in front of us. “I want you all to look for me at sunset where ever I may be. You can go now.” As I finished saying the sentence the birds flew away in different directions. “I think it’s time we began phase two.” I said to Kristine.

     “Very well then, let’s go in.” She said smiling. What I did with the crows was part of our plan. Shape shifters have the power to make animals obey their orders without any exception. I was going to use the crows to keep an eye on all of our friends while Kristine and I told our parents about the whole thing, then we could all hunt down Phantom without any problem. A person like him was not someone any kingdom takes lightly. Even the slightest threat to our secret is something we all react to.

     We opened the door and stepped in. We found both our families sitting in the living room. “I’m glad you’re here, please sit down.” My dad said as he and Kristine’s mom got up. The two of us took a seat and looked at the two of them attentively.  “As you all know, the Nightroad and Dawn families two the top seven clans in each of the four kingdoms.” My dad began telling us all.

      “That means that whenever a threat comes to us, we have to go to the main lands where the castles are.” Kristine’s mom said taking a break. “That threat came to the kingdoms a couple of days ago. We were called this morning about it. The two of us have to go to Europe, we would take you kids since you were born into this but you have school to go to.”

      “Wait, so you two are going to Europe? What’s so important that you can’t say no to?” asked my mom.

     “It’s the prophecy of The Last Great War.” Said Kristine’s mom, at that instan t we all stopped and looked at her. I, like everyone, felt chills cover my body. The Last Great War, a prophecy that brought worries and fear to all the kingdoms, it was only to be talked on a serious and sure matter. Joking about that prophecy was considered to be sick. The Last Great war, The Last Great War! It was the prophecy that the four kingdoms knew, the events that would lead to the end of our race and the end of the world. The prophecy says that one day humanity will turn against us and try to exterminate us. What we don’t like is that, according to it, they succeed at it and the four holy kingdoms are killed off the face of the earth.

     “What…makes you say that?” I asked her.

      “Look at the world and it should be obvious.” She said firmly to me “The vampires are almost gone, the countries we don’t control basically control the world and to make matters worse, we received a call this morning that we were needed in the main land’s because the Helsings have began to attack us. It all points to the prophecy.”