Chapter 8: Knight

“I’m holding your friend on the cross over that’s on the free way on the north side right now. Where are you?” asked Janis.

     “On the top of the bank.” I said getting ready to transform and fly. I knew where she was but I needed to hear her out first. “Why are you doing this?” 

     “Because Phantom asked me to” she said innocently.

     “I know that, but for what reason?” I asked

    “I didn’t bother asking, he just told me to deliver something to you. You have fifteen minutes to get here or else you won’t get anything and I’ll drop your friend off the free way to her death.” Janis said firmly. “Phantom’s listening to the phone calls you make, so don’t even think about calling Kristine for help. The time starts… now.” She said and hung up.

     I didn’t think it twice. I put my phone in my pocket and jumped off the building. I transformed into a hawk in mid air and flew off as fast as I could. My body as an animal was just the same as my regular body; I could fly faster than any normal animal I transformed into could. The night seemed quiet as I passed. So Phantom’s got our phones under his watch? I thought flying faster and faster. And now he’s got Jasmine taken as a hostage. Why is he doing all this though?

      I lost all sense of time as I kept flying. I finally reached the free way. The cars were passing at fast speeds in the darkness of the night, making tremendous noise. I caught a sight of two figures sitting on the edge of the cross over in the darkness. I recognized Jasmine’s scent the instant I was above them. I’m here!

      I glided straight down. The cold air passed throughout my wings as I went faster. I transformed back to my normal form when I was a few feet from hitting the ground and landed on my feet a few yards away from where I saw the two figures. I took a good look at what was going on. Jasmine was on the other side of the edge past the metal bars. A girl, who I supposed was Janis, was on the opposite side holding her wrist and holding a small while envelope with the other.

    Janis looked a few years older than me. Her skin was white as paper, it almost looked like cream. Her light brown hair almost looked red; it was flat and straight, running all the way down her to half of her back. She had an extremely beautiful face with a small lip piercing in her lower lip, it made her look tough and self preserved. She was wearing a pair of small glasses; her eyes were looking straight at me. I could see that she had a really skinny figure. She was wearing a tight dark red jacket, a black mini skirt, and a pair of black converses.

     “You were quick.” she said, her voice sounded a bit sassy. “Phantom told me to give this to you if you came with me.” She put the envelope forward and I took a small step towards her, things were deadly quiet as I took that step. I didn’t know what was going on, was I really going to go with her? Something’s not right here… “Wait. You’re not going to get this so easily.” She said stopping me. She turned around and stretched out the hand she was holding Jasmine with. The jolt pushed Jasmine off the cross over. My heart sank for an instant before it sank again. Jasmine didn’t fall off; she remained hanging as Janis held her by the wrist with one hand. “You have to decide between meeting Phantom and your knight’s life.”

     “You’re like me…You’re in a Kingdom?” I asked surprised as I saw that Janis held Jasmine with one hand like if she was as light as a feather. Jasmine’s feet kept dangling in mid air as she looked at me knowing that it was possible for me to rescue her. It was then that I felt like I suddenly fell, I realized I had just screwed up. She saw me! She saw me transform! I thought looking at her straight in the eye.