Chapter 15

On the walk home I feel strangely peaceful. Things are getting along with Arthur even better than I had hoped. The friendship of our past carried into the friendship we have now. And he trusts me. To have his trust once again is possibly the best thing I've felt in 900 years. Everything seems to be going out way. I don't know why but it seems that something wants everything to be okay, just as it was. And I start to believe it.
     That is, until I go home and turn on the news. I hardly ever watch the news but Arthur mentioned it and I was just curious. I've seen so many wars that when I turned on the television I just figured, how bad could it be? I've seen World War 1 and 2 so I'm sure this is nothing. I have never been more wrong.
     When I turn on the tele the first thing I see is a mushroom cloud. I've only seen this once before, at the end of World War 2 when the US bombed Japan. Then I read the headline. "Russian terrorist bomb North America." Oh no. This is very, very bad. This is really bad!
     Out of shock from the news I don't really catch everything they're saying. What I do get though is a jumbled mess of words some of which include World War 3 and Nuclear war. Eventually I just have to turn the news off. I sit there for a good minute staring a wall thinking about what I had just heard.
     I fought in the Revolutionary War, I saw World War 1 and 2, I heard a great deal about the Cold War. Every single time I was sure Arthur would come back. You have no idea how many times I visited the Lake of Avalon to see if he would return. And every time I came back empty. Why now? Why is he just coming back now? We may be on the brink of World War 3 and he has to come back now knowing absolutely nothing! Now for all I know he could go to a War and die knowing nothing!
"Calm down, just breathe," I tell myself. I really don't know what I was expecting upon his return. A good portion of me thought he would rise out of the lake knowing everything, but I guess the universe had other plans. All those years- I waited for-
    My emotions start to get the better of me and I'm nearly about to cry. I guess I haven't really thought about his much. The allusion that everything was okay overcame me I guess. Now I can see that everything is not okay and it feels like he's about to be ripped away from me again.
     Then I stop myself. I need to think rationally. He is still here and safe. A war has not yet started. So I just need to wait I guess. He's been remembering more and more. Soon I'm going to have to prepare for the time when he remembers his death. By that point he'll know I have magic, so I must be prepared.
     I look up at the clock and see that it's getting late, and I have to get up early for work tomorrow. So I head to bed and decide not to stress about his any more tonight.

Thank you so much for reading this chapter. I would just like to make clear that the description of World War 3 starting is all for creative purposes. I have no idea how it would start or if it even would. But this is what I came up with. Again thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it. Have a great week!