Chapter 18

Finally after a few minutes, I wipe my eyes and sit up. It feels really good to know that he knows now. I don't have to hide anymore.
     I look up at Arthur and he's looking back at me, smiling. He has a warm look in his eyes of acceptance and understanding. I haven't truly felt like I've belonged for 900 years. I've nearly forgotten what joy feels like. But now things are truly right. He knows, and he didn't leave. It's almost too much to believe.
     Arthur clears his throat and looks away as he's about to talk again.
"So, Merlin," he starts, and looks back up at me, "I still don't fully understand how you got here. Did you show up one day or something?"
I chuckle and then start to explain,
"I was always here. I've just continued to live, waiting."
"So basically you've just been alive for past 900 years?"
"Exactly!"
"Alone?" He questions.
"Well I mean-" I stutter, "I wasn't alone exactly. I mean I've had friends. Just not long term ones."
"So I'm assuming you never told any of them?"
"No, of course not! I mean I couldn't. If anyone found out I'd probably be shipped to some lab to be tested. And for some reason that idea doesn't really appeal to me."
He smiles. Then he asks,
"So what exactly have you been doing all this time? How have you kept from being discovered?"
"Well I just move around every ten years or so. Of course I need to remember to get a new birth certificate and ID every few decades, make sure that any past records of me disappear. But it's not so bad. I've got to do a lot of traveling. I've been nearly everywhere."
"Okay... well I guess that would help. I guess you must have been on some adventures then?"
"Oh yes, plenty." I answer.
"Well that's good. I wouldn't want you to just be avoiding people and waiting for me for 900 years."
We both laugh a bit at this.
"Although there is one thing I don't quite understand."
"What is it?"
"You still look and act young, or well- at least, not old." He explains.
"If I looked my age I don't even know if I'd be a skeleton anymore," I joke.
"You know that's not what I meant. Have you even changed at all?"
"Well I still change, like I still have to get hair cuts and stuff like that, but I don't age. I just remain how I am."
"But what about your mind? Like how old do you feel like you are?"
"For the most part I feel like I'm in my twenties. I look like it and think like it anyways. My mind hasn't really changed since I became an adult. I mean I still learn new things but my attitude and personality is still the same."
"It must be difficult. Never changing. Always remaining the same."
"It can be. But it's fine. I've had a good life. And besides, you get used to it after a while."
"Right," he says with a sympathetic look. He looks down at his watch and seems surprised for a second.
"What's wrong?"
"Oh nothing!" I look at him suspiciously.
"Nothing is wrong, Merlin. It's just-"
"What?" I press.
"Well someone is coming to meet me soon. Actually now according to my watch."
"Oh well I can leave-"
"Oh no!" He stops me, "no don't leave yet. Actually I think she wants to meet you."
"She?" I inquire. Just then I look up to see her walking toward us. I try not to look too startled as she comes over and briefly hugs Arthur. I stand up to introduce myself. She looks over at me and says,
"Hello, you must be Merlin. I've heard a lot about you." She smiles at me sweetly.
"Yes I am. And would you happen to be Morgan? Arthur's told me about you."
"He has, has he? Well yes I am," she answers.
"It's nice to meet you," I reply.
"It's nice to meet you, too." Morgana smiles as we shake hands.

Thanks again guys! I'm going to post really soon. I hope you all have an awesome day and week!!