Chapter Sixteen

I can barely hear the sound of the crunching of leaves under out feet as Harry talks to me about the plans for this break. Every now and then I smile or nod my head to let him know I'm paying attention, I just like to hear him talk so it's easy to forget to really make out what he is saying. He showed me to a path by a pond and with the amount of trees in this town, there are plenty of colorful leaves spread out covering the surface of the ground. Across from the pond is a small bridge and then a tiny dock that a man is standing on fishing.

"What do you think about that?" He asks, bringing me back to reality.

"Whatever you think," I guess and he presses his lips together in a line then nods his head. I watch as our hands just barely brush against each other and I try not to blush when he also notices. He smiles down at me before taking hold of my hand and interlocking our fingers. This time I definitely blush and I move my hair behind my ear and look out at the pond again.

"Do you want to sit down?" He asks noticing my constant looking over at the pond. I smile and nod as we walk towards a bench that has a good view of the pond.

"What's your favorite part about fall?"

"I don't know, maybe the colors or, maybe just the atmosphere," I answer after thinking for a minute. "I love being able to just wear jeans and a sweater and being the perfect temperature. It is really the best weather. Not too cold, not too hot. Plus, I love sweaters."

"What are your favorite seasons in order from most to least?" He asks rubbing the pad of his thumb over my knuckle as we look out at the pond.

"Well, fall, spring, winter, and summer," I tried to think. I don't hate any of the seasons there's just particular things about each season that make me like one more than the other. Example, I don't like being hot and sweaty all the time, but I also like flowers and wrapping up in a blanket. "What are yours?" I ask looking over at him.

"Fall, winter, spring, summer," he says smiling out at the pond.

We watch as the fisherman catches a fish but tosses it back in. I watch as the trees sway from side to side and as one leaf slowly finds it's way to the ground. I watch as he finds so much amusement in watching me watch things.

"So who do you think is winning so far?"

"Me," I tease and laugh as he gasps then knocks his shoulder into mine, making me laugh and do the same to him.

But I'm pretty sure we both know he's winning, if you can even call it winning. I had to admit, he wasn't a horrible boyfriend. He's is nice, and makes caring gestures, and I just don't know how to even compete with that. He is literally the perfect person and I don't even deserve to be acquaintances with him.

"So tell me about your family," I say laying my head on his shoulder.

"Well, its kind of a long story but basically my mum and dad split when I was younger, then my mom brought my sister and I here to America," he said, making me notice his accent very clearly as I noticed he says 'mum' instead of 'mom.' "A majority of my family lives back in England so we spend the holidays to ourselves. I just hope Gemma can make it," he softly sighs before looking out at the water.

"I'm sure she will come," I reassure him and rub my own thumb across his knuckles.

"She just got a pretty decent job, so she might not be able get the time off," he says softly. I sit up and use my hands to cup his face.

"She will come, I'm sure of it," I say before pecking his lips and sitting back down to cuddle up against him. He gives me a small smile before wrapping his arm around me and laying his own head against my own. My stomach flipped and I pushed the heat that was about to set fire to my cheeks away. I wasn't used to these feelings, these actions, these words, and being this close to someone. It was such a foreign feeling, but I like it. I liked being able to be happy again, being away to push the walls away without even worrying that he might make me build them up again, or not worrying about him tossing me to the side without another word.