Chapter 2: The Prefects' House

*HERMIONE*

Professor McGonagall leads me down several corridors, a pattern of turning right and left and straight ahead and again. Finally we get to a portrait of the school crest.

"This is the door," says the professor. "The password is 'lumos'." At the sound of the word the portrait swings to the left, revealing steps leading down into the room. Professor McGonagall turns around and walks back the way we came. When she disappears, I turn to the open door and walk down the polished white steps. I gasp when I see the common room; it's beautiful.

The floors are a brilliant white that seem to glow because they're polished to perfection. On the left wall there's two doors with two different crests: Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. On the right wall, there's two doors, one with the Gryffindor crest and one with the Slytherin crest.

Yippee, I thought. I have to be beside Malfoy.

As I walk through the room, my footfalls create echoes. Suddenly I hear a door creak open: the Slytherin door, and an amused Malfoy steps out.

"Well, the mudblood decided to make an appearance," he says, only to amuse himself. I stiffen.

"Please don't call me that," I plead.

He smirks. "Fine. Granger."

"That's better," I say. He laughs his not-so-genuine laugh.

"We've got to make our rounds," I say. I feel awkward caught at this moment with Malfoy... alone. He steps closer and I step back. His company was making me uncomfortable, yet it feels... right.

"Don't worry about it. The Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff went to do it," he says.

All I managed was an "oh". I walk over to the Gryffidor door, my door, and turn the knob to let myself in.

The queen size bed had orange sheets with a red comforter. Another door lies to the right and I open it and find a bathroom. I walk quickly out to the common room.

"We have to share a bathroom," I say. His infamous lop-sided grin returns to his lips.

"I know, Granger. I've already explored this 'house'," he says, using air quotes.

*DRACO*

Granger glares at me. "If you so much as come into my room," she says slowly, pointing a finger at me, "I will so much as punch you like I did in our third year here."

I grin at her, remembering the day I started insulting the Golden Trio and Hermione came over, her fist meeting my cheek and let me tell you. A bruise for almost a week. That's when I started liking Hermione for the first time I think.

"I'm so scared, Granger," I say. I walk over to the couch. I feel Hermione's glare boring into the back of my head and I smile to myself. I can't believe I'm actually falling for Granger. What would Mother and Father think? Me, falling in love with a mudblood... Calling Hermione that earlier when I heard her come in made me feel awful. But I must keep my 'bad boy' act up if I'm to stay a proper Slytherin. A Slytherin wouldn't be going around falling in love with mudbloods now, would they?

"What are you thinking about?" I hear her say. Turns out she made her way over to the couch and she's sitting fairly close to me. I turn to face to fireplace again.

"What do you mean?" I snap.

"You were zoning off, staring into the fire," she says calmly. "What were you thinking about?"

"Nothing," I lie.

"Surely you were thinking about something." I turn to look at her, her eyes filled with concern. Concern for me. Oh God, she's so close to me. Her face is just inches away from mine, and I can't stop myself from falling under the spell; she has no idea how she affects me. I lean in, trying to kiss her, and at first she doesn't hesitate to move. So I lean in closer, my lips brushing against hers before I truly kiss her. When our lips barely touch, when mine brushed against hers, she scoots back away from me and blushes. She stands slowly.

"I'm...er...going to bed," she says. I watch her shuffle away through the Gryffindor door and seconds later I hear it click softly.

*HERMIONE*

I turn so my back faces the door and I lean against it. Did that just happen? Did Malfoy really try to kiss me? I remember I didn't hesitate, sort of like I was under his spell, making me stay in one spot, not wanting to leave. But as soon as I felt his breath, as soon as his lips brushed against mine, I chickened out and scooted away. I think I'm changing now. Slowly falling for the man I never thought I'd ever be kind to, never give him a helping hand, and surely never love him. I couldn't.

I walk over to my bed and slip under the warm sheets and blankets, letting the heat absorb me as I fall into sleep.

_________________________________________________________

Sorry for the length, but I've been a little busy. The next chapter is a little short too, so sorry! I'll try to make the next longer!