Chapter 16: This Is It

*HERMIONE*

I wake up with Draco's arm draped over me, holding me firmly to his hard chest. I smile to myself and give him a kiss on the nose, then stare up at the ceiling.

This is it. Today's the day.

I feel Draco stir. I turn over to look at him, an his eyes flutter open and he focuses in on me. "Morning," he says.

I smile weakly. "Morning." Draco kisses me softly and gets up and pulls on some jeans and a Slytherin-green t-shirt while I bury myself in the sheets and flood myself with his scent. I feel him poke my forehead, and I open my eyes.

"Time to get up, darling," he says calmly. Darling? He's never called me that before, but it sounds nice. He extends a hand and I take it, letting him pull me out of the bed.

"Dress in house colors," he says. I nod then I grab the thin green blanket that was on top of the bed and I wrap myself in it and shuffle back to my room. I fold the blanket nicely and set it on the foot of my bed and I pull on some jeans and a scarlet tank top and pull my hair into a messy bun. I walk out of the room to find breakfast and...

"Good morning, Miss Granger," McGonagall says. "Did you have a good night?" She raises an eyebrow. I swallow.

"Uh..."

Draco walks in at the second and greets McGonagall, and is asked the same question.

"Um..." he starts, his face going a little red. "Just great, Professor."

"I hope you two got enough sleep for today," she says. "Today is the third challenge, as you know. I will be back before lunch to discuss more information and escort you to the Great Hall."

Draco and I grab some food and decide to take a walk around the grounds. Might as well as long as we can, before it's too late and we'll never be able to.

We come back to the prefect's house around  fifteen to twelve, fifteen minutes before lunch.

At ten to twelve McGonagall comes to fetch us, but first she gives us information on the tournament.

"At one o'clock the tournament will begin," she says. "I'd like you to be at the Quidditch field, which we've converted into an arena of sorts, and be there by fifteen to one."

She then escorts to the Great Hall, and everyone is already sitting down and chatting in deep coversations. McGongall turns to us.

"Follow me," she says. She starts walking quickly into the Great Hall down the middle of the room with me and Draco at her heels. Everyone in the room had quieted down and turned to look at us. It reminds me of our first year, walking behind McGonagall toward the front of the Great Hall near the high table. Draco finds my hand and squeezes it, and continues to hold it. I stare forward, not daring to make eye contact with any of my friends. We get to the front of the room and stand in front of the high table and face the four long house tables.

"Today," McGonagall says, "is the third and final challenge of The Battle of the Highest. Please wish these two the best of luck today when you get the chance, and pay them some respect."

McGonagall turns to us. "Would either of you like to say something?"

Draco shakes his head and I just stand there.

"Well, with that said-" McGonagall announces, but I interrupt her.

"I'd like to say something," I say loudly. Everyone turns their attention to me, even Draco. It doesn't seem as if the professors give a shit about what I'm going to say, and I don't care. I let go of Draco's hand and step forward.

"I just wanted to say...that this has been extremely difficult to get through. I just want you all to be thankful that you didn't get the prefect position this year, and for those who get it next year, make sure you're ready. You want to get every advantage you can so you can get to the end.

"I've gone through a lot myself during the past two challenges, and I'm truly dreading and terrified of what is coming this afternoon. I admit...I'm scared, and that may be strange for a Gryffindor to be frightened because we're known for bravery. But I don't think those quirks will help in this tournament. I don't care if you're brave or courageous, or loyal, or have a brilliant mind, or cunning...you have to use every one of those traits to pass this, and as for me, I've only used one. I've been way too loyal, and I haven't focused on a strategy for any challenge. Be prepared, and don't way yourself down by thinking too hard."

I step back taking a deep breath and whisper to Draco as I take his hand, "That took a lot of courage. I couldn't have done that if I wasn't in this."

"You did good," he whispers back.

"The Ministry requests that you both sit by them today," McGonagall says. She guides us to the high table, which has been extended to fit the section of the Ministry that created The Battle of the Highest and two extra seats for me and Draco. I slide into a seat beside a young woman, probably in her mid-twenties, and Draco beside me, beside a man who looks like he's in his late-thirties.

"Madame Humming!" the woman says suddenly, taking my hand and shaking it wildly.

"Hermione-" I start.

"Yes, yes, I know who you are!"

"Okay..."

She grabs a croissant from the basket on the table. "Have you enjoyed your years at Hogwarts?" she asks.

"Yes I have, actually. They've been rather...extravagant, over the years," I reply.

"Ooh, please tell."

"Well, in my first year Harry Potter came to school and was in my year, but that's not the point. We had gone through the third floor corridor, which was forbidden at the time to all students, and Harry managed to collect the Sorcerer's Stone and took down Voldemort again."

"Were you with him when this happened?" she asks anxiously.

"Well, I was for part of it and so was our friend Ron - he's that red-haired boy - no, the other - no - yes, that one. Ron sacrificed himself in a giant chess game, and Harry and I went on, and I helped him with a puzzle. You had to figure out which potion would transport you forward and which would transport you back. Some of them were lethal and some were wine, but two of them were the ones we needed to collect. But eventually I figured them out and Harry went forward and I back."

I ended up telling her about my over years and the Battle of Hogwarts as well

After I was done, she says, "Now...is it all right if I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

"Well, I couldn't help but notice you and the boy with each other earlier," she says, pointing to Draco.

"Yes, what about him?"

"I don't think it's a good idea at the moment, Miss Granger."

I look her and furrow my brows. "What do you mean?"

"I mean that if this last challenge, which I helped create - I send my deep apologies for you going through this - it would be impossible for both of you to live. You won't be able to-"

"No. I knew this was going to happen and I was going to figure out a plan so it would work."

"Even if you tried, though, it would be impossible," she says in a calm and quiet voice. I glare at her, then grab Draco's arm.

"What time is it?" I ask.

He looks down at his watch. "12:30," he replies.

I stand up. "We should probably be going," I say. Draco stands too. We walk down the middle of the Great Hall and out the doors, and I feel everyone's eyes on us.

_________________________________________________________________________________

So guys. I'd love to hear your thoughts about this chapter. Comment below what you think the challenge is! :D