Chapter 22: Will You?

*DRACO*

I stride over to Hermione, a jolt of energy in my step. I'm really going to do it. I'm going to ask her to marry me.

Hermione says goodbye to Longbottom, then turns to me and smiles.

"So how was that talk?" Hermione asks with a raised eyebrow.

"It was a good talk," I say with a nod. She then raises both of her eyebrows.

"About...?"

"Guy stuff," I say with a shrug.

"Mhmm," she mumbles, clearly not convinced.

***

Hermione pulls me over to talk with her friends, mostly consisting of Potter, Weasley, and Weasley's sister. She also pulls me over to talk with Seamus, Dean, and some others.

After a while I say, "I need to talk to you" to Hermione.

"Oh. Okay. Let's...go."

I grab her hand and lead her over to the bank of the lake.

"So..." she says, holding her right arm behind her back with her left hand. I shove my hands in my front pockets.

"So...I...umm...I've been thinking..."

"Are you breaking up with me?" she blurts out, looking over the lake.

"Of course not!" I exclaim.

She sighs with relief.

"But, umm..."

She stops walking and holds me by the shoulders to stop me. "Just tell me, Draco. What's bothering you?"

I take a deep breath, and Hermione takes her hands off my shoulders and clasps them together. I take the small box from my pocket and get down on one knee. Hermione puts her hands over her mouth.

"Hermione Jean Granger," I say. I smile up at her. "Will you-"

"Yes," she interrupts. "Yes, yes, yes." She pulls me up and hugs me, and then gives me a kiss. We break apart and she smiles. I slide the ring on her finger: a silver thing with a large diamond on the top, with diamonds embedded into the band about halfway around on either side, and a swirled design underneath.

"I love it," she breaths, looking down at it. She looks up at me and cups my face with her hands. "I love you."

"I love you too, Hermione," I say. I kiss her.

"Should we head back?" she asks.

"Do you want to?"

"We can tell people about our engagement," she suggests.

"All right."

*HERMIONE*

We walk back to the ceremony space. I can't believe it. Draco proposed to me! I had been waiting for a while, but I never thought Draco would be the type of guy who'd ask a girl to marry him. But he did, and he asked me.

I spot my parents and drag Draco over.

"Hi sweetie," my mother says. I catch Dad winking at Draco.

"We, umm...we have news," I say. I hold on to Draco's arm.

"Yes?" she asks.

"Draco proposed," I say excitedly.

My father smiles wide. "I knew you could do it, son."

Draco smiles.

"Did you say-" Mum starts.

"I said yes!" I exclaim. She shrieks excitedly and embraces me in an extremely tight hug.

"My baby is growing up so fast," she says.

"Yeah, Mum. I'm 18."

"You don't have to rub it in, you know."

We laugh and I turn to Draco and take his arm.

"We should go spread the news," I tell him. He nods. We walk over to my group of friends. We end up telling Harry, Ron, Ginny, Seamus, Dean, Neville, Luna, and some other students. The only ones who truly supported it were Luna and Ginny. Harry and Ron weren't too happy, though they said that they'd accept it and that they'd come to the wedding. Neville was worried for me,though I told him that I'd be okay. And Seamus and Dean congratulated us with a normal tone.

***

Tonight is the last night at Hogwarts. Tomorrow we wake up early to catch the train straight after breakfast to head back to King's Cross Station and meet our parents there.

I tell Draco good night with a kiss and walk into my room. I climb under the soft scarlet sheets and fall asleep.

***

"Hello again, dearie."

............

"I've heard about your engagement to Draco. Congratulations."

You aren't happy for us.

"Yes, you're right, I'm not. Draco marrying a mudblood? Not a wise choice."

It is wise if he loves me and I love him. Blood doesn't matter.

"That's what you think."

.............

"Well, you should expect me to show up soon. Let's say....at your wedding?"