Chapter 11: The Second Challenge

*DRACO*

It has been a little over a week since Hermione spoke to me last. Every time I try to go to her she stiffens and walks away with Potter and Weasley. I just get so jealous that I don't have friends like she does, but with her relationship with Weasley...I don't know if they're friends or if Hermione thinks that I'm her enemy again like in past years, and she thinks she can just forget me and get with Weasley. Well after all, I kind of am her enemy, at least I'm supposed to be. I can't just sit back, though, and wait for the challenge. The only way we can truly get out of it is by sticking together throughout the task. Smith is going to be tough to beat, especially since he's a Ravenclaw, and they're known for their smarts. Slytherin is known for cunning, and Gryffindor for courage and bravery. We all stand a good chance.

I sit at breakfast and bite into an apple, watching Hermione come in with them, and they're laughing. Pansy wraps her hands around my arm, but I just ignore her. She's always been a pest, trying to manipulate me as if I'm not human. But I'm done with her little games and she's not going to treat me like I belong to her anymore. But for now, I'm just going to ignore her.

As Hermione walks in, she sees me and she stops laughing. I smile weakly, but she stiffens - like she always does - and walks to sit at the Gryffindor table, her back facing me.

"You know," Pansy says suddenly, "I've been wondering...What's up with you now, Draco?"

I turn to her. "What do you mean?" I ask.

"Well, you've been acting a lot more...nice, than you ever did before. And your 'bad boy' image...it's gone. What's happened?"

"Nothing," I lie. I know it's because of me falling for Hermione, but I wasn't ever going to tell Pansy that.

"You should toughen up a bit more. You're too weak and vulnerable now. You could easily get mixed up in the wrong things, unlike before. Before...you were so dashing and..."

"Cruel?" I suggest.

"Now, I wouldn't say cruel, but those Mudbloods sure deserve a beating or a little talk sometimes." She grins wickedly. I clenge my fists.

"You know," Pansy continues, "Mudbloods don't deserve to come here. If I had my way I would only allow pure-bloods into Hogwarts. They - pure-bloods, I mean - are the ones with the most power, anyway. I just don't think being muggle-born is right."

"I don't think it matters," I retort.

"Someone's got an attitude..."

I roll my eyes and stop myself from arguing any further.

I turn around, only to see Hermione turn to look back at me. I smirk and she turns back around real quick to continue talking with her friends.

I stand. "Where do you think you're going?" Pansy spats.

"I have to deal with Weaselby," I say. I gesture to the Gryffindor table. "I'll only take a minute."

She grins, her nasty teeth showing. "You show him."

I stride over to the Gryffindor table and walk up to Weasley. He looks at me with a face of disgust.

"What do you want, Malfoy?" he sneers.

"Just wanted to tell you that your little friend...well, girlfriend...keeps looking back at me." Hermione looks up at me, her eyes filled with pain and anger.

"What are you trying to say?" Weasley says.

"You better keep her on a leash," I say, looking at Hermione. "You wouldn't want her to get in the wrong hands now, would you?" I smirk again, then turn on my heels and casually walk back to the Slytherin table.