Dream of Me

His eyes were blue and bright. That was the first thing Lukas noticed about the boy. The second thing was that he was a few years older than himself. The third thing was how loud his laugh was. It seemed to fill the entire space they were in, Lukas almost wanted to join himself.

"What's your name?" Lukas found himself shouting out.

"I'm Mathias, what about you?" They boys smile was wide, and Lukas thought to himself how it must have hurt.

"I don't think I'm supposed to tell my name to strangers. Sorry Mathias." Lukas gave a small shrug, and Mathias copied him, giving a pout with it.

"Oh well. Maybe someday we can become friends and you can tell me your name."

Lukas gave a small nod, offering an even smaller smile. Suddenly, everything went dark, a T.V. turning on against one of the walls. Both boys turned towards it, walking over. The screen lit up with what seemed to be an older version of Mathias sitting at a kitchen table.

"Hey, Lukas, will you put syrup on my omelette for me?" he called out, looking up from the papers he seemed to be working on.

"Alright," another voice called, walking into the room. Lukas gasped. That was him. Did he get to become friends with Mathias? Did he get to live with Mathias?

"Whoa! That's me and you," Mathias gasped. "So your name is Lukas, huh? Well, Lukas, it's nice to meet you."

"Yeah, you too."

Lukas suddenly noticed that the room was getting brighter and brighter.

"Oh! I think it's time to wake up!" Mathias pouted. "Too bad, I wanted to spend more time with you. I'll see you later, alright, Lukas?"

"Wait," Lukas called as Mathias turned away. "What do you mean wake up?"

Mathias tilted his head a bit. "You mean you don't know?"

"Know what?"

Mathias laughed. "You should ask your parents when you wake up! I'll see you later, Lukas. I really have to go now, but it was fun playing with you." Mathias turned, waving over his shoulder as he ran off.

"Goodbye," Lukas heard himself mumble as he jolted awake. He blinked slowly before his mom came into the room.

"Lukas, what are you still doing  in bed? I've woken you up three times already! Get up, or you'll be late for your first day of school," she chided lightly.

"Hey mom, I just had a really weird dream," Lukas mumbled as his mother pulled him out of bed, starting to get him dressed.

"Oh?" his mother stopped. "What was it about?"

"I..." he stopped, trying to recall what happened. "I don't remember. But it was really strange."

"Hmm," his mother hummed, before starting to help him dress again. "Well, I suppose when you remember you can tell me, alright?"

"Alright," Lukas agreed.

/ /

The next time he dreamed of Mathias was two years later when he was seven.

"Hey, Lukas, I haven't seen you in forever! How are you?" Mathias asked as soon as Lukas' eyes met his. Mathias was probably around ten now, and Lukas found the three year gap somewhat intimidating.

"Oh. Mathias. I've been good, how are you?"

Mathias laughed loudly. "I've been great! Say, how long has it been, anyways? Two years? That's a long time!"

"Yes, around a fourth of my lifetime," Lukas agreed.

"So you're eight, then?"

"No, I'm seven. I just figured that saying a fourth would be easier."