Prologue

*Edited

    When I was just a little girl and momma used to gather her herbs and roots we wandered on a man. His skin was pale and one of mommas gators were chewing on his arm. His eyes wide open and filmy as if filled with milk. It made my stomach churn with sadness and I couldn't bear to look at his glassy lifeless eyes anymore. They were wide with his last living fear of the scaled animal that had ended his life. My hands clenched mommas skirts and they hid the big monster and the pale dead man from my vision. Momma pulled away and wiped the salty tears that were flowing down my face. 

    "Baby do you know what this is?" I shook my head and sniffled even more. It stunk here worse than how people thought the bayou stunk. And when the bugs got here it would make me sick.

"Baby girl this is payback and you shouldn't feel sorry for this evil man, now I want you to use the trick I taught you baby and don't be scared." She smiled warmly down at me and moved away from me. I hesitated and continued with closed eyes as to close my eyes to the pale man. When I opened them his soul was showed out to me. He's killed, but after he'd raped, and tortured. Not women but children. Dozens put in unmarked graves. The memory of one child in particular gave me shivers. It was my cousin Rachel she had been born a lighter tone than the rest of my family and had the voice of a mockingbird on a spring morning. 

    I remember the day she had went missing. Every shadow in the bayou was summoned by Auntie Kay, and mommy had put out the Lucem candles out on the porch so they wouldn't come in. The drifters were close and whispered of what was happening echoed through the bayou. When Rachel died everyone in the Tree was summoned only to find her body in a dumpster behind Auntie Kay's favorite cafe in the French Quarters. He did that. Her usual caramel skin she'd gotten from Uncle Will was purple and her hazel eyes were locked in on something long gone.

    When her daddy arrived he'd left right after and Auntie Kay let the shadows and drifters take her down to Diablo as Mrs. Ricardo called him. Every shadow man in New Orleans mourned and the voodoo ladies in the ninth ward set out Shetani powder. That was the day everyone in the tribe separated themselves. And the day momma started to teach me.

    When momma pulled me back out of Isikhala she embraced me and beamed her smile at me. With that she flicked her wrist and picked me up into her arms. The beast behind us began to eat  the pale man making atrocious noise and sending my stomach into tighter knots than before. She patted my back and noticed how tense I was. She just kept on going over the logs and tall grass. Pass Bo the Baobab tree and past Cypress Central, until the Betsy Boo came into sight. Momma always told me that Betsy climbed up the tree when she was just a house and the tree and her became best friends. The strange little cabin sat sturdily on a gnarled grouping of mahogany branches the detailing of the sight of the best friends gathered my unwavering attention.

    As momma sat me down on the window seat in the kitchen she told me one thing that I'd always remember. She told me that I shouldn't be sad because no white man died. Because in the bayou they were like demons killing all of the lords children. In New Orleans, where momma was born she said that the white men were like Alcatraz. Except everyone inside was innocent and died in the end. That's why she told me that every white person would die with their eyes open. Because when a man dies with his eyes open it means that he deserves it.

...

Hey, It's me.

Next Update ~ Saturday December 29, 2013

~Darrielle