Chapter 6 ~ On the Dawn of the Red Moon

*Edited

    Mai's feet were tickled by the feathery green frongs of grass. The field that she treaded through was smothered in the sweet smell of honeysuckle and the reddest ripe berries she'd ever seen adorned every bush. The sky was blue and clear, except for the puffy clouds that were shaped like feathery cotton balls. The ones that you could make images out of, that you could lay under and admire. It had to be a dream, she hadn't felt this well in a while. A lone white kite wafted through the air, and Mai had the urge to grab it and hold onto it as long as she could.

        At least until the she remembered how she had gotten to the spring paradise. Flashes of being in the room, of feeling the undeniable pain, but the one thing that she couldn't remember was leaving. She had no idea where she was. Was it a shame that she didn't care? Just as long as she wasn't back in the same place.

     It was much to beautiful to bring her back to the memories of the place that had trapped her. She was quite surprised that she felt as serene as she did, when she had no idea what was going on.Even though Mai had to admit that this place was much better than waking up to the glow of a blood moon, or the glow of even more sinister eyes. The same ones that had plagued her for many months were no where to be found.

    She opened her eyes as her head began to get clear only to be startled by hazel orbs meeting hers. Stumbling back her feet tripped on the tresses of grabs only for a light cinnamon hand to latch onto her's balancing her. When she opened them again Mai was lost for words at her now older looking cousin laughed as if she had seen the funniest thing in the world.

        This definitely had to be a dream."It's nice to see you again." At the sound of Rachel's velvety voice Mai burst into tears and held onto her cousin. Inhaling her scent, she was dead. Maybe she was dead? That's what the tear-stained girls head kept pushing towards her. How else could she see her cousin, her dead cousin.

    "I thought this meeting would be more happy, but it looks like your still the little drama queen." Mai laughed at her cousins quip and pulled away from her not knowing what to say, what was she supposed to say after not being able to talk to the older girl for years 'I'm glad your not dead'. She had nothing to explain to her how happy she was to see someone that she respected, admired, and looked up to. Someone she had wanted to be like, and aspired to be like.

       "Am I dead" The older girl begin shaking in laughter. Was she dead? 

    "What a stupid question, Does this hurt?" She took a piece of Mai's skin and pinched it between her nails. Mai squealed and rubbed the sore arm upset with the realization that no matter if she had a moment of freedom she had to return to that place, and the little pinch had hurt so she could have figured out herself that she wasn't dead. But it made a smile worm it's way onto her face when she realized she was more upset about getting pinched.

          This confused her even more. Where was she? Maybe she was close to being dead or in some sort of coma, or she could be stuck in some kind of Limbo.She was still physically intact, there was no way that she was still in hell. She didn't care. If she was stuck in a limbo with one of her closest friends, and loved ones in the world. With so few people who knew what she was like, or who she wanted to be. If she was stuck it would be a dream come true.

    "Is my mamma here?" She had to ask. If this was heaven she would want to see her mamma before she went back. Mai berated her with questions and told her of the days when she had been remotely happy after Rachel's death. But the older girls mind was elsewhere. Rachel had to try to get Mai, back to the beginning of her happy rant. Even if this was the first time she'd seen the crooked smile on her little cousins lips. Even when she watched her, and protected her. But, she had always been the bearer of bad news.