Chapter 4 ~ Persephone

*Edited (Sorry for certain spouts of illiterate rantings)

      It was warm. Like sitting in a hot spring on a cool evening. Floating around and being at peace. She always had somewhere to go, something to push her away from the true thing she had never fully reached on earth. Bliss. Peace. She didn't know what it was, she had no clue, but in that moment she felt it. Inside her body entering and exiting as if it was the oxygen of the earth, or the tides of crystal water filling her lungs. For a second she didn't know who she was or where she was.  She knew something was wrong, but who cared when she was dreaming for the first time since she was plagued with the truth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        "Rach, do you ever think about dying?" The older girl smiled softly ,but shook her head at her precious cousin. She had, everyday. No one knew but it seemed as if every time she seemed to get farther along she always fell back to the start line. Because the man still followed her, and even as she tried she couldn't ignore him.

    "Mai why you did you have to ask me that depressing question?" Both girls giggled at the statement.They were close, and lately to Rachel she just wanted to make sure that whoever he was didn't find her little cousin as intriguing as he found  her. Mai had always been the deep one, she always wanted to know things, and it was one of the many things that the older girl admired her for. Rachel's mom even said that she was an old soul. Someone who will always be honest and held such great morals that it put many others to shame. Rachel put her little cousins hair into a ponytail as they sat in her room at the old wooden vanity. Both girls were silents as she brushed roughly than the younger child's hair trying to smooth through the course curly bush.

        "Rachel, do you think when I die that people will miss me like they'll miss you?" The older girl stopped mid-stroke at what she had said and a frown deepened into her face.

    "Why would you say something like that, why would you ever think that people would miss me more?" Her hands shook slightly and it scared the younger girl more than she had ever thought about.

        "Do you think death is a joke huh?" The older girl had started to stroke her head roughly little knots of black hair getting stuck in the brush. Mai cried out slightly as she felt a tuft of her hair straighten as if someone was trying to yank the nappy curl right off her scalp.

     "Death isn't something to take lightly Mai, we don't talk about it! It's not up to us if we die or not. You always ask me all these stupid things that only make people think you feel sorry for yourself and your making me think that your just being a selfish dummy asking me to answer them." Mai didn't mean to make her upset. But her older cousin had been acting different as if she didn't want Mai around. Rachel begin to not like talking about her days, or school with Mai anymore. Mai's bottom lip poked out and her face furrowed making her eyes bigger and she begin to sob.

        Immediately Rachel felt bad. She would never intentionally hurt her. The younger girls frame wracked with small cries and whimpering. It made the whole rooms temperature waver in pure sadness. No one ever like to see child's tears. She sat in between the vanity where the seat would usually go and didn't cover her face as if she didn't care if anyone could see her crying.

    "I'm sorr-ry" The little girl hiccuped and her cousin tried to pull her from underneath the vanity to get her to calm down, but didn't want to hurt her anymore than she had with her words, she slipped beneath it crushing both girls closer to the old wood . Rachel wrapped her arms around her little cousin making sure that she was comfortable even as the wooden carving on the leg of the vanity indented into her back.

        "I'm so sorry Mai it's not you it's me, I'm always here, and if you stop crying I'll answer your questions. They aren't stupid, and the only reason you ask is to get closer to me, and you can ask me whatever you want, because you aren't a dummy I am." She hurried out with her words even though they were scrambled and frantic. She desperately barracked her cousin with things that always made her giggle. yet she still cried and all the older girl could do was hug her tight and make sure that she got it all out.