Chapter 1 ~ Sura

*Edited 

It was the same dream, and no matter how hard I chanted, spelled, and casted it wouldn't go away. It would replay in my mind as the teachers rambled on in school. The dream would flash at dinner with Uncle Will and his white family. The worst time for it to pop up was when I was alone. The dream was etched into my memory.

When my momma passed I had dreams of her body and of Betsy boo burning. Even worse was dreams of her coming back with my daddy's spirit inside of her. It was a living nightmare, and daddy's song would play with it. Leaving me in tears, only I could feel it, and whatever was after me was something so filled with black oil and evil that the hairs were always standing up on the back of my neck, and they were worst than the visions of daddy taking mommas form, or of Betsy boo lighting up the bayou. It wasn't just the landscape or events. What set me on edge was the man with his bass tone in my ear. A deep guttural growl and it was the same three words.

I'll be here.

It made my feet stop walking when the dream ended and I wouldn't know what time it was or where I was. It scared the hell out of me, and the closer it got to my eighteenth birthday the feeling of pure terror would run through every pore. Three more days, until I would go through the first initiation into the Sisterhood of light. Momma was in it and they would do an ascending ceremony that will condemn all my sins. They would be my new family and would protect me from this thing that is after me. Well if there was anything after me at all, or  if it wasn't just my daddy's insanity that I inherited.

But if anyone knew the dream they'd turn against me when I needed them most. The bell rung snapping me back into the class. The people laughed and readily headed out of the class not letting the English teacher finish his lecture. He smiled at me and went back to his desk. Class was over and the buses didn't run for the city schools. Uncle wills kids were home-schooled. They weren't like me and him though, they were human. It made us defenseless and useless if ever attacked and when the ascendant ceremony was performed they would never have to expect me home.

The halls were loud with the rowdy teens. It was two days away now. Even if there was no date that I remembered to put on my papers in class it was two days away. They would gather me on my birthday and when they did, all of this would be over. They would be the reason it was over because momma told me she'd never want me to go dark like Auntie Kay. That was her dying wish and even as I wanted to join Auntie Kay's old coven, they were a band of dark witches that collected antique casters to join them. No one like me.

There was such a dull throb to my power that even Uncle Will thought it was a good decision and he even wanted me to go to medical school and become the coven healer. What could I say? Even after the pain of his other half he still moved on and we both knew that the Thompson family was left on my shoulders. The last of my powerful ancestors. The only pure bred of the true coven but that was even worse, I was weak and could barely create a border or a barrier for defense. Useless.

Time was beginning to bleed and it was coming closer. Tonight the dream would come again. And this time I hoped I awoke before he appeared behind me with his skin and his eyes. As I neared my bed ready to fall asleep an eerie feeling creeped up my neck as if someone was watching me. The hair was wet but stayed up as if metal pulled by invisible magnets somewhere. The sound of the cities traffic was loud and let me know that if something happened I wouldn't be alone. Not even then. It didn't comfort me knowing that people were out there, because no one was close enough. No one could understand. The bed loomed in darkness making my eyes water in fear. But I had to go to sleep and all I could hope was that some god would help me through it.

....

It was the same room still hauntingly illuminated by the blood red moon. An arm was slung over her side and gripped her body to the sheets. The sheet writhed and moved but there was nothing underneath them just the constant hissing from the thick and silky comforter as if pythons were writhing underneath. She had checked when the dreams first started.She knew everything, every detail. There would be nothing there but her legs intertwined with his. She knew it was the man. She could try finding the way through the castle, but as usual she figured there was no way.