Chapter 16

Turning and tossing all night. I couldn't get one minute of sleep. I kept thinking back to Eleanor and the texts.

I was a little upset at first because I thought she had gone through my messages but now that I think of it, I was the one who kept reading and re-reading Kelly's messages, I left her conversation open and when Eleanor opened the messaging app, well, Kelly's conversation opened. And it was there, she didn't even have to scroll up to see the part that said I was using her for sex and I never replied.

It was really my fault.

All of this was my fault. No one else to blame but myself.

Once Eleanor left, I just stood there like an idiot in the middle of the road, I didn't know what to do, I didn't understand what I was feeling either. I tried calling her, but she wouldn't answer and I'm pretty sure she didn't want to see me so there was really no point trying to go to see her.

I wanted to, I really wanted to but I knew better than to do so when Eleanor was mad. There was no point arguing with her, she wouldn't listen to me. When Eleanor was angry, she was someone else entirely and I was still confused as to how to act with a caring Eleanor, what could I do now that she was angry exactly because she cared.

⚢  

"Tyler, mamita," My mother wrapped her arms around me tightly, I didn't get to see her yesterday but today they had this small gathering for my birthday. She had made lasagne for my birthday and since my family got here two days ago, it was going to be a family thing, to which my friends were going and the Williams too, so I was really hoping Eleanor would come, I wanted to talk to her even for just a second maybe try to explain. But I knew better, Eleanor wouldn't show up... "Happy birthday! Me siento vieja."

"It's okay, you don't look old," I kissed my mother and tried to smile back at her, she frowned at me confused by my lack of enthusiasm, maybe. I didn't get to explain because right then came my father and wrapped his arm around me and my mum.

"Oh, my lovely ladies," He sighed longingly. "Happy birthday, sweetheart."

"Thank you, guys." I smiled and hugged them back.

We walked inside the house towards the kitchen where I knew my abuela would be, she was always cleaning something, even if it was already clean. It annoyed my mum. "Abuelita," My voice startled her, she jumped with her hand over her chest, looking at me like I was some criminal.

"'Erda, Tyler," She slapped my hand hard, pronouncing my name with an accent. She then hugged me, quickly and cold. "Happy late birthday."

"Gracias," I smiled and hugged her back. That was basically it.

That's how we spent the beginning of our afternoon, I got birthday wishes and gifts and I said thank you quite a lot. I wasn't feeling it and my friends could tell, I think everybody noticed to be honest, but I just— I was waiting for her to show up, for her mother and brother to show up without Eleanor, because maybe then I'd know for sure she wasn't even willing to pretend everything was normal in front of other people.

And that's why when the bell rang, my whole body was acting up. I could literally feel the bits of food I had been trying to steal from the kitchen coming back up, I could feel the colour draining from my face and I swear my heart was all kinds of crazy right then.

Before I had the change to go, my mother went to open the door, I heard her laughing and greeting whoever, the steps coming closer and closer.

"Calm down, Tyler," Joe said, Freddie nodded in agreement.