Chapter 17

To say that I was avoiding both Eleanor and Kelly would be an understatement.

Well, not really, I wasn't avoiding Eleanor, Eleanor was avoiding me but I was making it easier. Kelly, though, she was trying really hard to talk to me and I was trying reallyhard not to talk to her.

So, I did what any other person would've done in my position. I hung around with my abuela.

Everywhere she went, I followed. This was my birthday party, I should be with the few of my friends that showed up and with my family but I knew that Kelly didn't always feel comfortable around my grandma, said something about the way my grandma was too direct that kind of scared her, so I knew Kelly wouldn't just come up to me when I was with her.

To be honest, my grandma wasn't a great company but it kept Kelly away so I was good with that. Problem was... Abuela was starting to get tired of me following her around.

"Tyler, go away," My grandma sighed as she turned to look at me again, I frowned.

"I'm your grandchild, the oldest, I should be your favourite but you're telling me to go away," I pretended to be shocked and hurt.

"What do you want? Dinero? I don't have money, your brother already—"

"Mum's not gonna like that," I cut her off shaking my head at her. Matias was the owner of my grandma's little dark heart. My mother's words, not mine.

"¿Y por qué no? He asked nicely."

"He knows why." I shrugged. Mum was pissed with Matias because he got his ear pierced and skipped school like three times thinking nobody would find out. He went and cheated on his girlfriend with her best friend and they posted pictures on Instagram of the love bites she was giving him. Mum was so disappointed she asked meto talk to him. I had something else in mind for later on.

"Why not?"

"Ask mum."

"You sound jealous," She replied quickly, I frowned. "It isn't good to be jealous of your brother."

"I'm not jealous."

"It's okay to be, he's the little man of the house," My grandma replied quickly, contradicting herself. I rolled my eyes at her words. "Anyway, don't change the subject, why are you following me como la peste. Don't you have friends to talk to?"

"I'm not following you around, I'm just spending time with you, you know? Before you leave and don't come back until like another birthday or Christmas holidays."

"How was your first year of university?" She changed the subject this time. My grandma wasn't very good at talking about issues like why she didn't like coming to see us as much as she used to when my granddad was alive.

"Uni was great," I shrugged.

"That's a lie," My mother said as she walked by us.

"Chismosa," I whispered to her, hearing her laugh as she poured wine in her glass

"What does that mean?"

"Noisy?" I frowned at my grandma.

"Not that, boba, why is it a lie?"

"I didn't do as good as I should have." I sighed. Truth is, I don't know why I didn't fail this year. Fuck knows where all the time went. I couldn't manage my time as well as I wished I had, so when assignments were given, I was a little behind and I had no idea what was going on. I gave in my assessments a little later than needed and because of that, I had 20% taken off from my final grade. I passed just not with the grades I would've liked. "But at least I did somewhat good, right?"