Eleven-A proposition

I didn't get much sleep that night. I couldn't help but think about everything I heard and saw.

At one point I had fallen asleep. I must have, because suddenly I was hovering over a clearing watching Gideon argue with Pacifica.

"I don't need an amulet to read Mabel." What did he mean by that? It haunted me as I tossed and turned. Eventually, too restless to sleep, I grabbed a flashlight and the journal and flipped through the pages. Something about the feel and smell of books camped me down. My parents call it familiarizing with relaxation. Dipper calls it book love. Kids at school call it weird. I like Dipper's name the best.

The journal had plenty of entries that looked like Dipper's made up creatures, but some of them caught my eye.

Eventually I realized that it was morning, and that I had something that needed to be done. I put on my boots and grabbed my coat, shoving the journal inside.

I made my way carefully downstairs, stepping over the creaky floorboards, until I got to the kitchen.

Out for a walk. I'll be fine. -Mabel

I wrote a short note to Ford and grabbed a donut from the box Melody had brought over the day before and headed out.

"I know you're there, Gideon." I called out once I had reached the clearing. "We need to talk."

"Fine. I have nothing to hide." I turned around to see Gideon, standing impatiently. "But let's go somewhere warmer."

Once we had settled in at Greasy's Diner, I looked him directly in the eye.

"I was at Pacifica's show yesterday."

"Surprising. I assumed your Uncle hated Miss Pleasure." Her smirked slightly, frustrating me.

"He does. Melody took me. But that's not the point. I..." I thought for a minute, debating whether it not to reveal my knowledge. "I heard you talking to Pacifica. What we're you helping her with?" Gideon sighed.

"Mabel, are you aware of what my father does for a living?"

"The Northwest Mud flap factory is right put side of town, isn't it?" He shook his head.

"Not just that. My father is an entrepreneur. He gives people things they need."

"What does this have to do with-"

"Shut up Pines." I begrudgingly obliged. "He takes advantage of my magical ability. I wipe some memories, I heal some rich people, and I read some minds. It's all what my father makes me do." I thought back to the dream. I don't need an amulet to read Mabel.

"You use your amulet to read minds." Gideon nodded. "But Pacifica can't read mine." Gideon looked at me in shock.

"How did you know that?"

"She mentioned something about it yesterday when I bumped into her." I said. "And, I had a dream." I added.

"Intriguing, what happened in your dream?" Gideon asked.

"I was hovering over a clearing. You two were talking, and she complained about not being able to read my mind. Then you said that you could read me without an amulet." Gideon looked down.

"Which means that presence..." He looked back up at me. "Mabel, you truly have a gift." I blushed. "You astral-projected yourself to a conversation I had with Pacifica. Which means I have a business proposition..."