Twenty Three-Manipulation

I was practically crawling by the time I got back to the Shack. Gideon had gotten us double booked, and I had never been more exhausted.

"Hey Ford." I groaned, attempting to head straight upstairs.

"Where on Earth do you think you're going?" I looked up at him.

"To bed?" Gideon closed the front door.

"Didn't we agree we'd discuss Pacifica this evening?" I groaned.
"That was before. This is now. Goodnight." I continued up the stairs, but was dragged back down by Gideon's amulet.

"Please, never do that again?" Ford pleaded. "It must be horrible, the restricted movements, being forced," He shuddered. It actually wasn't as horrible as he had made it sound, but I kept my mouth shut.
"Of course, but we should focus."

"When's the last time you talked to Pacifica?" I asked.

"Several days ago. I'm afraid she may be planning something." Gideon admitted.

"Like what?" Before he could answer, his amulet started to glow.

"It's her." He looked back at me. "I have to go. You stay here."

"I'm coming with you." I insisted.

"No you're not!" Ford and Gideon said in firm unison. They shot each other a wary glance.

"It's too dangerous. And Pacifica doesn't know I'm in contact with you." Gideon said.

"And your parents would kill me if you were hurt." Ford added. I sighed.

"Please? Leave me outside or whatever, I just want to know what I'm up against!" I pleaded.

"You're not 'up against' anything. I'll take care of it." Gideon said.

"Fine. Then I'm just going to sit in the attic in silence all night." I ran up the stairs and locked the attic door.

Of course I had no real intention of staying there all night. I watched out the window until I was sure that Gideon was far enough ahead and snuck out after him.

I expected Pacifica's hideout to be somewhere discreet, and was surprised when Gideon started heading towards the tent of telepathy.

"Are you serious?" I asked, immediately slamming my hands over my mouth. Gideon turned around, furious.

"I told you to stay at the museum!" He whisper-shouted.

"Well it's too late to send me back!" I pushed him towards the tent, where I could here someone complaining.

"Where is he?" Pacifica demanded in a shrill voice.

"She's in her tent? She's usually I'm the trailer by now." Gideon thought aloud. "Stay here." He entered the tent, and I peeked through a small tear in the side. Pacifica was sitting on the stage, surrounded by her crew. She was terrifying. She'd always seemed creepy, but seeing her without her persona sent shivers through my soul.

"Leave us!" She commanded. They all left through the back of the stage.

"What do you want, Pacifica?" She sighed.

"Oh Giddykins, why must you be so straightforward?" Gideon and I both recoiled with disgust.

"Don't call me that. Just tell me what you want and be done with it." Pacifica rolled her eyes.

"Do you know why I use this amulet, Gideon?" She asked.

"To look inside unwilling minds and exploit them for profit."

"They're not unwilling!" She defended. "People come to have their minds read and their loved ones contacted of their own free will." She sighed. "Besides, it's not the money that I'm after. It's the power." I stood firmly by my previous statement that she was terrifying.

"So what does that have to do with me?" Pacifica smirked, her tone was smooth.

"You know things. You might be able to fool everyone else, but I know that deep down, you want this power too." She dropped the smooth tone. "Now help me achieve it!" Gideon shook his head.

"I've told you before and I'll tell you again. I'm not interested in power. And if that's all you wanted to talk about, I have to go. There are things I care about more than world domination." He turned to leave.

"Like the Pines girl?" He stopped dead in his tracks.

"How do you-"

"You know, I just find this town's newspaper to be a delight." She smirked, and snapped her fingers. Two pairs of hands grabbed me and dragged me away. I screamed.

***

Gideon heard Mabel scream and turned to face Pacifica.

"What have you done with her?" He demanded.

"She's safe for now, and that's all you need to know."

"What do you want with her? She doesn't have an amulet!" Pacifica slid off the stage and landed on her feet.

"Why do you care?" She asked, leisurely strolling towards Gideon.

"She's innocent."

"Oh, Gideon. Protector of the innocent." She circled him. "Is that it?"

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"Is it really because she's innocent? Or is it something else? Do you care about her?" Gideon shook his head.

"Pacifica, stop this. Let her go." Pacifica gasped.

"You love her, don't you?" Gideon growled. He knew that there was only one way to get Pacifica to release Mabel, and as much as he hated to give Pacifica a chance to fulfill her dreams, it was potentially a matter of life and death.

"I know how to get you more power!" Pacifica grinned.

"Let the girl go!" She called out. Gideon pushed past her.

"Don't touch her ever again." He growled.

"Of course not. Oh, and Gideon?"

"What?" He asked, hating to hesitate getting Mabel.

"This better be good." He sighed.

"It will be."