Twenty Seven- Days Later

Gideon stayed at the shack until Ford could be sure he was okay. It was surprisingly more fun than I expected. We played board games and watched tv, and I got out of my chores in the gift shop. Ford wasn't so suspicious of Gideon anymore, which made things more relaxed.

"Mabel," Gideon said about three days after he woke up.  We were in the middle of a game of chess, and honestly, I was glad to be distracted from the fact that I was losing.

"What's up Gids?"

"I've been thinking, and it's time for me to go back." I jumped.

"What do you mean? I was just getting used to having you around all the time!" He shook his head.

"It's been too long. My father will wonder where I've been. Besides, we've got an important socialite event coming up next weekend and I'd prefer to be on his better half for that." He was quiet for a moment. "And... I want to check in on Pacifica. I feel horrible for leaving her there. I need to see if she's okay." I nodded.

"I understand. But at least let me come with you?" Gideon sighed.

"I suppose that if I say no, you'll still follow me?" He smirked, making me blush with embarrassment.

"You know it."

"Then I suppose I can't stop you." I smiled.

"Great. I'll go tell Ford." I got up and headed towards the gift shop while Gideon looked around for the sweater vest he'd been wearing over his shirt before.

"Hey, Robbie!" I said, making a beeline for the register. "Have you seen Fordsie?" He laughed.

"Sorry Mabes, I haven't seen him all morning. Why don't you check with Melody?" He offered, nodding towards the museum. "She practically follows him around to keep him out of trouble."

"Thanks, Robbie!" I said, racing into the museum to find Melody. She was nowhere to be found, but Ford was dusting off a rock that looked like a face.

"Ford!" I said, scaring him.

"Sweet mother of mercy! Don't scare me like that!" I chuckled.

"Sorry. I just wanted to let you know that Gideon wants to go home today." Ford scratched his chin.

"I'm not so sure about that. We haven't seen Gideon walk further than the bathroom for the past few days. It could be dangerous."

"But Ford!" I pleaded. " He needs to go home." I quieted down. "I'm worried about what'll happen if he stays much longer. He sounds like he's terrified of his dad." Ford continued to think.

"But it could be dangerous to send him-"

"I understand the risks, Stanford," Gideon said, suddenly appearing in the doorway. He had found the sweater vest. "But I need to clear my conscious and check on Pacifica."

"Please Grunkle Ford, I'll go with him!" I begged. Ford sighed.

"Fine. But please, don't get hurt. At any sign of danger, you are to return immediately. Is that clear?"

"Yes!" I exclaimed, hugging him. "I'll go get my stuff!" I ran to the attic and grabbed my bag. It didn't have much, only the journal, a grappling hook, a flashlight, and some snacks, but it came in handy.

"You promise you'll be careful?" Ford asked.

"Yes." We replied in unison. I pulled my coat on as Gideon tied his cape around his neck.

"Oh, and Stanford?" Gideon said before we left. "Thank you. For helping me, and for not taking the amulet." Ford nodded.

"You're welcome. Now get out of here before I change my mind."