Eighteen-Misunderstood

"So let me get this straight." I said as we walked back towards the Mystery Shack. "Pacifica thinks that I have one of those amulets?" I asked, pointing at the amulet that hung around Gideon's neck.

"Yes, and she's willing to risk anything to get it." He answered.

"But why?" The question lingered in the cold air. Gideon shook his head.

"Pacifica's already forsaken her sanity. As far as I'm concerned, she has nothing to lose." I thought about that statement until we reached the Mystery Shack.

"Oh no..." When we arrived, Ford was speaking to the police. After a moment, he noticed me standing in the parking lot.

"Mabel! Oh thank the Heavens you're safe!" He ran to me and hugged me, enveloping me in his musty coat. "I don't know what I'd do with myself if you'd gotten hurt." Something about his tone sounded off, so I decided to play along.

"I was so scared Grunkle Ford! I'm just so lucky that Gideon found me!" The two police officers, two intimidating men whom I'd never seen before, stepped forward.

"We got a call about a possible runaway or kidnapping scenario. You sure you just got lost?" I nodded.

"I go for walks a lot but it got dark and I got lost. I usually bring a flashlight but I forgot." I lied. Gideon nodded, picking up on the lie.

"She wandered into my backyard, so I offered her a place to stay until morning." The officer grimaced.

"The story checks out. Let's head back." He and the other officer got into the car and drove off.

"Those two weren't officers. I don't know who they are or what they want, but they'd have to be idiots to think I wouldn't recognize the town's officers after thirty years." Ford stared after them.

"They were two of Pacifica's lackeys. Here for Mabel, no doubt." Gideon explained. Ford nodded.

"Tgey said someone had called them saying that Mabel was in the woods with you last night and they were concerned."

"She's on to us. She knows that you know what I told you, Mabel." I nodded.

"Let's get inside."

Once we were huddled at the kitchen table, Ford poured himself a mug of coffee-black, but what else would you expect- and Gideon and I each a mug of hot cocoa.

"Mabel, I would appreciate it if you would stop running into the woods and start being more honest with me. First off, about what you're doing with Gideon Northwest." I glanced at Gideon, who was sitting beside me.

"Well-"

"And start at the beginning, if you please." I took a deep breath.
"Well, when I first came here, I went into the woods to find a mystery the day I twisted my ankle. And I found this journal in a hole in the ground-"

"Show me the journal." Ford commanded, his voice wavering. I slowly took the journal out of my coat ad set it on the table.

"Here."

"I can't believe it!" Ford exclaimed softly. "I haven't seen thus since..." He shook his head. "Mabel, do you mind if I..." He reached his hand towards the journal, and I pulled it off the table.

"No! At least... Not yet." I managed to speak. Gideon shot me a warning glance. "I know that you wrote it, but..." Ford drew his hand back.

"I know. The journal does have quite the sentiment..." He shook his head. "We're getting off task. What happened after that?"

"Well, Gideon and I started talking, and then..." I stopped, unsure of how to continue.

"Oh my God... You're not pregnant, are you?!" Ford asked, shocked. Gideon spit his cocoa into his lap.

"What the heck Ford? Obviously not! I was going to say we started solving mysteries!" I yelled.

"Excuse me, I have to... wash my lap out..." Gideon said awkwardly.

"Ummm... Yes... The bathroom is just down the hall to your right." Ford said, embarrassed. Gideon left quickly, blushing.

"Ford what the heck?" I asked.

"I know I know I'm sorry! I'm just not very good with people, and when you hesitated I panicked." Ford apologized.

"That's just disgusting anyway. I couldn't even imagine dating Gideon, much less... Ew." I shuddered.

"Well, let's just agree to never mention this ever again." Ford said.

"Agreed." Gideon came back a moment later.

"Now that that's over and my pants are... Presentable... Shall we continue?" He asked, sitting back down beside me, but slightly further away from me than before.

"Right. So anyhow, we started solving mysteries, and that's when Gideon told me about Pacifica." Ford nodded.

"I can't stand that girl. And anyone who lets their child wear that much makeup should be arrested for neglect."

"Personally, I agree. However Pacifica's parents are too afraid of her to tell her otherwise." Gideon said.

"She can't be that frightening." Ford reasoned.

"You don't know what she can do."