Twenty One-Mabel

Something was wrong. Usually Ghost Harassers could clear my head, or at least take my mind off of whatever was bothering me. But this time it was different.

Gideon had been at my house everyday for the past two weeks. I was used to him appearing spontaneously in the attic telling me to get a move on, because he found another mystery.

Eventually, the screaming in Ghost Harassers got to me, so I went leave the room.

"Is everything alright, Mabel?" Ford asked, drawing Melody and Robbie's attention to me.

"Yeah," I lied. "I'm just gonna get some water." I went into the kitchen and sat down. I needed to clear my head, or at least figure out why I was so worried.

My eyes darted to the phone on the wall, so I picked it up and dialed the most familiar number I knew. Home.

"C'mon, C'mon, C'mon! Pick up, Dipper!" I whisper-shouted.

"The number you have reached is not available at this time." I groaned.

"Is everything okay, Mabel?" Ford asked, entering the kitchen. I sighed.

"No, not really." I admitted.

"Why don't we talk about it?" He headed over to the door and opened it, sitting down on the old couch on the porch. I followed him, pulling my sweatshirt tightly around me.

"Thanks, Ford." He nodded.

"You were trying to call your brother." I nodded.

"Its been so long since we've talked. And Dipper always makes me feel better when I'm nervous."

"Why are you nervous?" Ford asked. I thought for a moment.

"I don't know. I just feel like something bad's happening to Gideon."

"Might I offer my insight?" Ford asked.

"Of course."

"I've never trusted Preston Northwest. The Northwests have been swindling people for generations, that much is true, but there's something... Dark about Preston."

"Gideon mentioned that his dad was forcing him to do stuff with the amulet." I said. "I'm not sure what, though." Ford thought for a minute.

"If you don't hear from Gideon by tomorrow, we'll go find him."

"Thanks Ford." I stood up to leave, but turned back to Ford. "Grunkle Ford?"

"Yes, Mabel?"

"Isn't Dipper supposed to be here already?"

"Yes, Mabel. He is."

***

"Again!" Preston commanded, his voice carrying across his office. Gideon sighed, struggling to enter the mind of a common person taken from the streets of Gravity Rises.

With the last of his effort drained, he collapsed to the ground.

"Is this the best you can do?" Preston shouted.

"I'm sorry but I cannot enter an unwilling mind! Only Pacifica can!" His father snarled.

"If the Pleasure girl can enter minds, then so can you!" Gideon shook his head.

"The amulets have different abilities! I-I've been theorizing that the wearer's personality affects this-"

"Then change your personality!" Preston snapped. "Get out of my sight!" Gideon raced out of the room.

Once safely in his own room, he did something he never did in front of others; he cried.

For a brief moment he thought about going to Mabel. He knew that she didn't know about the extent of his father's 'training', and he knew she wouldn't like it.

"Tomorrow." He resolved. "I'll talk to Mabel tomorrow."

It only crossed his mind briefly as he fell asleep, that that was the first time he had referred to the girl as Mabel.