12 | twelve

"let's go somewhere," luke's clear voice echoes through the phone.

i groan and smack my head into my pillow. it's pitch black outside, the moonlight shines through my window and illuminates my room. my tired green eyes rest on the digital clock which tell me that it's two in the morning.

"you should really start calling me at a normal time. you know, a time that i would actually be awake?" i suggest politely, yawning.

"that's not fun," luke huffs.

"i'm hanging up," i roll my eyes.

"don't!" luke rushes to say. "come on michael please, i'm walking down to your place right now. get ready."

"luke, it's two in the fucking morning. can we move this meeting back to a better time?" i whine, wrapping myself in blankets to cozy myself up.

"no. hurry up and get ready, it'll be fun." luke promises before he hangs up the phone.

i can't even argue since the line is dead. i sigh and decide that i'm too lazy to actually change into clothes so i stick to the grey sweatpants and crop top that i'm already wearing now. i pop a piece of gum into my mouth to chew on and it freshens my breath immediately. since i still smell like sleep, i spritz perfume all over me.

i'm not quite done spraying myself with the fragrance when my doorbell rings. the noise is so loud, i jump and nearly drop the expensive bottle of perfume in my hand. luckily, i don't. i hope the loud noise didn't wake ashton: my roommate.

"you're crazy," i hiss at him when i open my front door.

"insomniac," he corrects.

"wait, really?" i ask, my eyebrows drawing together. "are you actually?"

"unfortunately," luke sighs.

i suddenly feel bad for the cute blond boy standing in front of me and i hook arms with him instead. i lock the door behind me as i go and then we walk.

"where we going?" i ask softly, the slightly cold wind nipping at my skin.

"let's go to the subway station," luke randomly suggests.

"why?"

"why not?"

luke and i have a brief stare down but he wins. i break eye contact and just sigh. i nod my head and allow him to lead me to the subway station that's about a twenty minute walk away.

we converse about things as we speak; we exchange funny memories and stories, as well as fun facts about each other. it's fun and the twenty minutes fly by quickly.

luke and i walk through the dirty underground station. surprisingly, it isn't completely empty. i still see groups of people bustling around so luke and i aren't completely isolated. that's a good thing considering i would be scared out of my mind if we were all alone in a dirty, old underground station.

"where to?" luke hums as he scans the map of the possible routes.

"let's just jump onto a subway and see where that leads us," i yank on his sleeve as we follow the approaching subway.

it's obviously a bad idea but both of us are so intoxicated by tiredness that we don't seem to come to that conclusion. luke drops money into the machine and gets two tickets and we make it into the vehicle. the doors shut behind us and the subway is off.

since it's so late, most of the seats are unoccupied. there are some sleeping people in suits slumped against poles and harsh looking teenagers who's parents probably don't know that their kid is out.

i stupidly stumble right into a metal support and i wince. "shit, that was hard."

"like your dick?" luke grins.

"my dick isn't hard," i grumble.

"not yet it isn't. give me a minute and that shit will be harder than a fucking metal beam." luke brags.

"oh, is that so." i scoff.

"it is so," luke teases, pushing into my shoulder lightly. i push him back before stopping.

i scan my surroundings and i see that luke and i are sitting across an old man who i thought was asleep until he peels one eye open to stare at us.

"where are you kids heading to?" the old man asks, his dark blue eyes clouded with judgement.

"church," luke replies quickly.

"at this time?" the old man chortles with disbelief clear in his voice.

"it's never too late for god," i cut in.

"it's a wednesday," the old man adds.

"sunday alone isn't enough, we need more time to praise our holy father." luke states in a tone that meant that the conversation was over.

the old man got a hint and he rolled his eyes back into his head as he falls back into a light snooze. luke and i exchange glances but he's the first to break into a tiny giggle.

i join in with my own soft laughs. it escalates quickly and before long, luke and i our gasping for air as we practically roar with laugher. tears flow down my face freely as i grasp something for support. luke is bent over, his face bright red as he tries to hold in his loud giggles. it doesn't work and the entire section of people on the subway --including the old man-- stare at with disgust.

i don't care though.

today's been one of the best days of my life.