13 | thirteen

ash is gone when i'm back. all he leaves is a note on the table telling me that he's safe and that i shouldn't worry about his whereabouts.

immediately, it makes me worry.

i shake off the bad feeling and convince myself that there's nothing worth worrying about. ashton's a big boy, he can handle himself.

i'm tuckered, completely exhausted. luke and i somehow found a way to some hipster suburban located an hour away from where we started. it took us about three hours to find a way back. i tiredly stumble my way to my room and flop onto the bed. i'm too drowsy to glance at my digital clock; even if i had the energy to tilt my head a centimetre, i doubt that my bleary eyes will be able to make out any numbers.

i don't take off my make-up or even change my clothes. i know i'll regret it when i wake up later, but at the moment my only priority is sleep. within seconds, i'm out.

-

when i wake up again, it's six in the afternoon. i slept through most of the day. the first move i make the second my eyes open was to hop out of bed and scrub my face clean. i don't want my skin problems to be getting worse. tired and makeup free, i look like a complete wreck. i brush my teeth and do my usual routine.

"ashton?" i call at the top of my lungs when i finish.

the apartment is dead silent. he's not back yet.

i sigh and scavenge the kitchen to look for something worth eating. nothing's really good though. i decide to get my keys and just drive out to the mall for a quick meal at the food court and perhaps even get some new clothes.

i'm taking ashton's car since he decided to steal mine. the drive there is absolutely dreadful. the car stinks of cigarettes which is strange considering that neither ashton or i smoke. perhaps one of ashton's friends has been smoking in here.

i park my car easily and hurry inside the mall when i finally arrive. i settle for a nice burrito from a mexican stand. it's so good that it's gone within five short minutes.

"you deserve to spoil yourself. maybe get some new underwear," i mutter under my breath, tapping my pink nails to my thigh.

i allow myself to walk to victoria secret to pick up some lingerie. i probably won't buy anything but i absolutely love trying things on and admiring my own gorgeous body.

"getting things for your girlfriend?" a pretty university-aged employee asks, a sweet smile on her face.

"no," i reply shortly.

usually, when people realize i'm buying feminine things for myself, they act all disgusted. even the nicest person will be caught off guard for a split second.

this person is no different. her smile quickly fades into an uncomfortable frown and she turns around to walk away briskly.

i roll my eyes and pick out sexy black underwear. i merrily walk towards the changing rooms and thankfully, no one's there so i let myself in.

i swish the heavy curtain behind me, concealing me inside the change room. i love the dark, sultry lights they have in here. i slowly strip of my clothes and slip on the new underwear. the silky material is soft and hugs onto my every curve. i admire my body and i love how i look.

it's faint, but i hear a light hearted chat from outside. it's two males talking. "you two broke up, i don't understand why you're still buying her underwear."

"i've already told you dumb ass, i'm not buying it for her!" the slightly higher pitched voice replies.

"then who are you buying it for? and why are we in the change rooms?" the first voice asks, him sounding extremely close.

i don't even have time to react as the curtain i'm hidden behind is swept open. my eyes bulge as i see calum and luke standing there. calum's holding a huge pile of panties and he's about to step into the room. luke's attention is diverted to his phone and he doesn't even notice anything.

finally, i gather my shit together and do something. i scream loudly and retreat, hiding my body with my t-shirt. it only seems practical considering i'm literally only dressed in a tiny, racy thong.

calum's eyes get wide as he stares at me. my scream makes luke jolt but it manages to get his attention. luke's blue eyes glance over to the source of the noise and we make brief eye contact. immediately, his protective instincts come out and he uses a hand to cover up calum's eyes. with his other hand, he closes the curtain and gives me my privacy again.

"shit, we're sorry!" luke apologizes loudly.

"it's fine," i cough awkwardly.

"if it means anything, you have a cute bum." calum adds in.

i hear a faint thump and calum yelps with pain.

"shut up," luke mutters quietly.

"what? i'm serious, he has a nice bum!" calum defends.

i hear another thump. i can only assume that it's luke hitting calum since calum winces again.

"yeah, he has a nice bum but that nice bum belongs to me. fuck off."

"i'm sorry!" calum mumbles.

"you better be."