Chapter 7

Summer POV

I woke up the next morning feeling cold. Actually beyond cold. I was freezing. Which didn't make sense because I was bundled beneath the covers. Yet once my eyes focused, I noticed the air in the room was too chilly to be a malfunctioning air conditioner. Something is not right...

As I pondered over this, I rolled over onto my back, having to do a double-take of the ceiling. I must be seeing things. It's like I went from Star Wars to Frozen.

Ice plastered the ceiling, a thin trail starting from the bed across to the windows. It was thin, the thickest layer at the air vent. I muttered a curse word, jumping at seeing my breath appear. Yes, that is how cold it is. I was literally shivering right now. And Kylo is shirtless, how is he not noticing this?!

I scooted over to him, not caring if he will get angry at disturbing him. This was worth it. I lightly shook him, hoping he wasn't a heavy sleeper.

He pulled the covers over his head, grumpily mumbling something I couldn't make out (and it's probably better I didn't).

"Kylo! I don't care if you're annoyed I bothered you! This is serious!" My teeth were nearly chattering from the temperature. Doesn't he feel it? "Just look around the room!"

His head popped out from beneath the comforter, his eyes widening at the sight. He fully sat up, taking in the wintery atmosphere. How he doesn't have frostbite is beyond me, since he was sleeping in nothing but his boxers.

It was a moment before he said anything, too shocked from this. And there was no hiding the fear in his voice. "Get dressed. Quickly. We have a problem."

* * * * * *

This will probably be the first and only time I will not complain about my outfit or helmet. I felt so much warmer in it than I did snuggled beneath the comforter. Which is good today, but bad for any days I might wear this when it's hot.

I followed Kylo Ren down different corridors, ones I have never traveled before. At least I think not; I could be wrong. This place a huge labyrinth after all.

As we went deeper into the ship (since Kylo's room was on the outskirts of the Star Destroyer), I noticed it was getting colder. Much colder actually. I was starting to feel it through my outfit.

Though it wasn't just me. Almost everyone we passed, both Stormtrooper and officer alike, were showing they felt the temperature drop as well. Some were blowing on their hands (even though they were wearing gloves), most were just drinking coffee. And those who didn't fit in either category walked around like this was nothing, yet I knew they were shivering on the inside.

"Kylo, what do you think is causing this?" I asked as we changed corridors again.

"We shall see," he replied, finally stopping in front of a large door. It opened automatically and we went inside.

I recognized this room immediately as the observation deck, due to the long window (which was actually smaller, triangular shaped windows pieced together perfectly) that wrapped around the room, serving as a lookout point. A bridge was stretched across the center, binding the two sides together. Beneath the bridge was a lowered second portion to the room, that had computer terminals lined up around every side of it with an officer working dutifully at each.

This was definitely (or close to) where the issue was, for the whole room was covered in some way with ice crystals. Especially along the window, which frightened me. Because when glass gets to that low of a temperature, especially with the force it takes from space, it would do what? Crack. I do not want to be sucked into the dark depths of the galaxy.