Chapter 16

Kylo POV

I sat alone in the grimly lit room, only accompanied by the ancient artifact I have collected for memory and inspiration. I envision it in its days of glory, when it was worn to show power and strike fear into every civilian in the galaxy. My grandfather was the man behind the now deformed mask, known as Darth Vader.

I stared hopelessly at it, knowing that no matter the desperate attempts I make at contacting him I never receive an answer. Is it because I'm not good enough? Is he ashamed of me?

"I'm trying to be stronger, Grandfather,"I spoke solemnly to the helmet. "I'm trying to be like you...but I'm failing. I'm losing my hold of the Dark Side and succumbing to the same weakness you faced: love. Show me what to do, Grandfather. Show me how to fight the Light and remain in the Darkness."

The helmet remained silent as it always does. No one tried to contact me through the Force. I felt more alone that I ever have.

I fought for my eyes not to water but they did anyway, embarrassing me in front of the only person I have left in the universe. But I was at the point of begging for guidance. "Grandfather...this girl I have taken on as my apprentice has changed my life. She is a distraction to my training and is keeping me from focusing on becoming a warrior of the darkness. I want to be able to forget about her, leave her behind as a distant memory like I've done with so many. Why am I having so much trouble with her? Why is she so hard to forget?"

Again, no response. I growled in frustration, running my hand angrily though my hair. "Grandfather, I need you! Why won't you help me? Am I that pathetic in your eyes?!"

With more silence I fell to my knees in despair. No one cares about me. No one wants to help me. Not even my own grandfather.

(Just random third person POV)

Unbeknownst to Kylo Ren, someone did appear to aid him. Something that seemed to be holographic but was actually supernatural, took shape behind him.

Anakin Skywalker stared sympathetically but also with sadness, wishing his grandson would listen for a change. Kylo hasn't been ignored, Anakin has been answering him every time, though not the way Kylo desired. He has been attempting to show young Ben Solo the truth in the Light, but with repeated rejection has left him in a resigned state of mind.

The ghost reached his hand out to Kylo, nearly touching him but suddenly pulling himself away at finger's reach. Anakin shook his head. He is not yet ready for the acknowledgment of my presence.

After another somber look at his grandson, the ghost disappeared into thin air as if it was never there to begin with.

Kylo POV

I stood up and left the concealed room, finding no help from Vader.

Now back in the normal section of my private quarters, I laid down on my bed, staring up at the black ceiling. "I must be doing something wrong," I muttered to myself. "I'm probably a laughing stock to those who see me."

I did breathing exercises to help calm my nerves and relieve myself of frustration. It didn't really help but it made myself think it did.

I glanced over at the empty spot in the bed beside me, secretly wishing there was familiar face to speak with. Summer may be a distraction but I always felt more at ease in her presence. She gave me a sense of relaxation and tranquility, which thus led to the opening up of my true feelings for her in the infirmary. I want to say those words to her face, not to a corpse.

I sighed, feeling an empty hole within me. Not from a wound, or because I haven't eaten lunch yet, but from a person being taken away from me. One who has formed herself into a part of my life, one that I must have to keep my sanity.