Chapter 9

Summer POV

I walked down the sidewalk along the canal, glancing at every storefront I passed. I couldn't read any of the signs, so I went by pictures or merchandise in the windows. The crowd has thinned tremendously, most finally retreating to a hotel or back home. Not that I cared, I only had one thing on my mind and I wasn't going to let anyone hold me back.

The farther I walked down the sidewalk, the fewer people I saw, until basically I had it to myself. I'm not sure if that was good or bad because if there was no people, with how busy this area was, then the shops were most likely closed.

I stopped in front of one, specifically to rest for a moment but once I studied the building more thoroughly, I realized this was exactly what I was looking for.

A mechanic, or at least a ship repair shop, was what I guessed the two-storied building to be. This was probably a family business, and the second story was where everyone slept. There were boxes of parts in the lower window, along with toy-sized models of starfighters. This has to be it.

I walked up to the automatic door, praying it would open, but it didn't. I even pushed on it but it wouldn't budge. Great. The place is closed. But I've come this far, I'm not giving up yet.

I closed my eyes and focused on the door, hoping using the Force would make it open. Concentrating intently, to the point of where my head started hurting, the door slowly inched upwards, but didn't fully open. I finally let it go, not being able to hold it any longer.

Panting, I stepped back, wondering if there was another way in without physically breaking anything. I don't want to burglarize the joint, I just need to...convince the mechanic to help me. It may take some...aggressive negotiations; lightsaber may or may not be included.

After glancing around to make sure no one was watching, I sneaked around to the backside of the building, hoping for anther way inside. There was another door but that one was locked as well.

"I didn't want to have to do this, but General Hux needs us," I said with a sigh, reaching for Kylo's lightsaber and turning it on. I carefully inserted the beam of light through the door and slowly began carving a hole large enough for me to enter. This was difficult, because I had to use all my strength to push the weapon through the thick metal. It was also time consuming, and I prayed that no one would notice my doings at least until I was inside. I could hide from there.

About halfway done, I paused, giving my arms a short rest, then continued on again, determined to finish it. Finally, I managed to carve a circle large enough for me to crawl through into the metal. Just one problem...the loose piece was still sitting in the door. If I was to push that out, if I even was able to accomplish that, the sound would probably wake up the neighborhood.

I hesitated but ending up just shrugging, for this was the only way inside. I focused on my carving and, once I felt my mind grab hold of it, I pushed as hard as I could. The thick metal moved forward and then fell into the room, the sound echoing far too loudly to not have waken anyone up. It's like a freight train impacted the building.

I waited, my eyes constantly watching my surroundings. No one was on the sidewalks, but I'm sure the noise was heard farther down the canal. No lights turned on in any nearby house, and this building remained as dark as before I disturbed it. Maybe I was wrong. Perhaps this was only a business and not partnered with a residence.

I carefully stepped through the hole in created in the door into the pitch black room. I couldn't even see my own hand in front of my face.

Wanting to stay safe and quiet, I turned lightsaber on again for use as a flashlight. Sparks flew off the beam, its unsteadiness becoming even more distinguishable in the darkness. The growl it emitted sounded unnatural yet powerful. I swear, with how long Kylo has owned this, if it decides to blow up on me now...