Chapter 1 - The Forest

Why is life so cruel, why is it so unfair?

I keep coming to the point that I want to escape from the situation that comes again and again, like a never ending cycle. Like the situation that I'm currently in. I finally had the chance to escape it, and I took the chance and what happened next? I got lost, lost in the forest.

It's already getting late and before I knew it, the sun switched her position with the moon. Today is the full moon; I can hear wolves hauling; wind stroking the trees and blowing the leaves which ever way they will sway.

Fear washes over my body with every step that I take. I fear for an animal that's wandering around, hungry for blood and flesh.

Am I not too young to die yet? I just turned 19... And I can finally start a new life, MY life that I was longing for for so long.

I'm not panicking right now, it's just that I fear the unknown. Everyone in my place would be like this. Hell, they would be screaming their heads off and they would just run back to that colorless city I come from.

Do I seem weird to you? Well... I am. I am weird and probably crazy too.

I'm walking in a straight line on a path decked with stones and leaves, hoping that I end up somewhere near people.

The path comes to an end.

At the end of the path, there is a river. As I walk closer to the water before me, I see the reflection of the sky in it. The moon and the stars, they are beautiful, the sight is overwhelming and I feel as if the time has stopped just for me and wants me to take the beauty of the night in.

With the river before me, I sit on the ground that is coated with light green grass. I could stare at the river the whole night. I couldn't take my eyes of it, or rather I didn't want to, because I know the moment I look away, I'm back in the reality that hurts me, wants me gone. But even if I didn't want to look away, something caught my attention at the other side of the sky-reflecting river.

Movement.

A creature comes out from behind trees that are decorated with the now brown leaves. My eyes widen and I gasp out of fear.

It's a wolf.

He hasn't seen me yet, so I take the chance to slowly stand up. As I'm already standing, I slowly back up, but I stumble back and fall right on my cushions. I close my eyes immediately so I don't have to see my own death approaching me, but to my surprise it never came. I slowly open my eyes and look in the direction I last saw him.

He's still there, but now looking at me and observing me from afar. He brings his gaze up and we link our stares.

Then it hit me, those eyes aren't eyes of a wolf. They belong to a werewolf. A hint of a human heart softly, but strongly reflecting in them.

I sigh out of relief. I feel as if all my burdens have left my soul, but that feeling doesn't stay for too long, as I snap back into the cruel reality. He's a majestic creature, half a wolf, half a human, a werewolf it is indeed.

As I was about to stand up, I slowly sat back down again. When my cushions touch the ground, a sharp pain comes running through my body. I shut my eyes for a split second. He, the werewolf, seems to have flinched when he saw it.

Still with my eyes closed, I hear footsteps growing near.

I slowly open my eyes again and look around. I turn to my right and find the werewolf standing there with curiosity and worry, as visible as a black dog who is happily playing in snow, in his eyes. He carefully approaches me, trying not to scare me, but I don't even flinch.